SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating a Freelance work contract, please help.

Hello everyone,
    I am a freelancer website and graphics designer.
    I want to create a work contract, but i dont know anything about it, I dont know how to start.
    So please help.

Some required info:
    - I am from India, Currently I live in india
    - I am 23 year old
    - I dont have any registered firm
    - Most of my clients are from other country then india

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is to buy one of the business package kits, like the one Sitepoint sells, and use their templates and tools.

Failing that I think that you need two things:

1) A General Services agreement (aka Master Purchase Agreement). This outlines the basic terms of doing business with you or your company including payment terms (N30, 50% upfront), confidentiality, limitation of liability etc.

2) Service Agreement. This form breaks down the specific services you are offering to provide, the details of the contract including pricing.

I would search the web for forms and duplicate them. Most MPA and Service Agreements follow the same structure and have similar terms. A 5 minute Google search should get you what you need.

I would also suggest running any forms by a lawyer. If that isn't feasible make sure you limit your liability in the MPA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get some qualified legal advice from someone familiar with contract and IP law in whatever legal venue you plan to bind the contract to. Take any other advice you get here with a 500lb salt lick.

For what you're doing, I can't think of a more important contract clause than venue designation. That's the clause that specifies, should it go to court, what legal jurisdiction the litigation will be performed under - India, United States (specific state and county), etc.. a lot of Indian firms that do big business in the U.S. actually set venue for New York, for example. Advice on New York state law won't do you much good if your contract venue is in India, or vice versa. You'll also need some good legal advice on international IP law.

For the love of God, don't just download a contract from somewhere and go to town. Know your venue and know the legal subtleties of operating there, or else you'll pay later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Robert
    Advise taken will try to find a suitable person.