SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please help this newbie on building a social networking site!!

Hi,
    I am practically a newbie at web designing. So far I have only done a little bit of coding in java and c++. I want to build a social networking site like myspace/hi5/face book. But I am completely confused by the wealth of information on the net. Can anyone enlighten me these questions regarding this. Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    My thanks,
    Omi

1st question: Are the Owners of myspace/hi5/face book build the website themselves or do they hire someone?
    2nd question: If yes, What program have they used or what do I have to learn to build something similar?
    3rd question: How difficult is it to build something like this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to discourage you from doing something you really want to, but if you don't have the experience or background in building such sites, don't expect to play with the big dogs.

If you're going to build a social networking site, you have to find a niche that hasn't been tapped.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by omit46
    1st question: Are the Owners of myspace/hi5/face book build the website themselves or do they hire someone?
    2nd question: If yes, What program have they used or what do I have to learn to build something similar?
    3rd question: How difficult is it to build something like this?
    1) No idea, but I don't think it really matters that much. Either way, someone built it. If you want something similar you'll have to make your own decision on how to get it done, based on money, your experience/ability etc.
    2) You could build it in any of several languages, I think mySpace is ASP.NET (correct me anyone), not sure about facebook/hi5
    3) I don't think it would be too difficult to get something that worked reasonably for a good programmer. The major problem is security, even within the last 12 months I know of at least 2 major security issues myspace has had. Its always going to be an issue when you let users make such sweeping changes to pages.
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not going to compete with myspace and be a millioniare (as if i even had a chance). I am not building the site for the everyone on the net. It is only for the small city I live in malaysia. Its a small city so there wont be too many poeple. Also I can make it a bit more intimate than myspace. Can two poeple learn a language(php or whtever) from scratch and build a such a site in 6 months?
    (i know it depends on the person, skill and etc etc but for a average person who can spend 8 hours/day on it)

thanks
    omi

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well do you have prior programming experience? If you do, then learning a web based language and writing this site with it could probably be done in 8h/day over 6 months. If you're learning prgramming from scratch, I'd say you'lll struggle.
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know java and c++, also worked on the nachos OS. I am a computer science graduate from USC. But I am not ...what should I say ...not a great programmer. My designs are not bad but I only did the assignments for my class. So, I am not that much experienced. I made a tetris on c++ and a lame shooting game on java. But that's it. Is making a facebook.com like website be too difficult?