SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CAN'T PLACE Layer to move with table cell

I have a layer that must go into a table cell so it centers with the browser window. I can't copy and paste it. I can't drag it in. I can't copy and cut the code only. It also has js in it so I wonder if this is my problem HELP PLEASE

I've searched this forum and cannot find what I need. Of the 4 entries I found only one looked promising but the answer given, or I couldn't understand it.
    Opportunity favors the prepared mind.

SitePoint Evangelist Ed Seedhouse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chri
    I have a layer that must go into a table cell so it centers with the browser window.
    There is no concept "layer" in either html, xhtml, or CSS.

Dreamweaver talks about "layers" but this is not a Dreamweaver forum. If you are using DW I suggest you go to the Sitepoint forum for that program, which I believe exists.
    Ed Seedhouse

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You shouldn't place an absolutely positioned div (DW speak for layer) into a table cell. More about why here: http://thepattysite.com/layer_laws.cfm

Why do you need a layer in the cell?? do you really need it, there may be other ways to achieve what you are after - if you explain a bit more.

You can place a div inside a layer cell, position it relatively and it will take it's position from the top left of the table cell... but you need to hand code that in.

nadia

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia P

You can place a div inside a layer cell, position it relatively and it will take it's position from the top left of the table cell... but you need to hand code that in.

nadia
    Yes this is what I need to do. I've got a javascript scrolling text block that needs to fit within my layout, which centers on the page. If there is another way to do this I'd love to know. I'm not looking for DW techniques, but this script is in a layer box already. I didn't create it.

This does sound like I'm asking to address this problem with blinders on. Here is the link. I want to put the scroll in the yellow box above. http://clickingaround.com/javascript_59.html I tried changing coordinates but I don't think I'm adjusting the right ones.I also tried putting the table tags around the javascript. I am a js idiot, and it's only getting worse. So maybe this goes in js forum??

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would something like this work instead:
    http://www.dreamweaverresources.com/.../scroller.html

Nadia

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. I don't want to use the basic scroll bar, thus is why I attempted javascript. I also need it to do that hover click thingy- on the arrows-whatever it's called.