SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web design proposal template?

I was wondering if anyone had a propsal-type template they'd be willing to share?

I was hoping to take a look at things related closely to "I came across your website and think I can improve your online image" ...
    AskItOnline.com - Need answers? Ask it online.
    Create powerful online surveys with ease in minutes!
    Follow us on Twitter

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried taking a look at "The Web Design Business Kit" (available here at Sitepoint)?

I think there's a proposal template system in there.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is no one willing to share there template and/or contracts? I would really like to see one from someone from SitePoint, rather than a random crappy site online that you can find.

I am in the process of writing one up, but would like to see one to follow as a guideline. Anyone willing to share? You can PM me one that won't be shared if you'd be so kind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Robotic, someone already did, in the thread you started (again, congratulations on getting the interview):

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...84&postcount=9

Nobody's just going to get up and hand you their contract so you can start making money for yourself. That would be like a marketer giving someone who's new their entire list of contacts. What the marketer will do, however, is point you in the right direction and give you advice so you can develop your own contact list.

I'm doing the same thing here (as is Moni-Q in the post I linked to above). I know the price tag for the Web Design Business Kit is steep (it's the reason why I haven't bought it yet--though I do plan to when I can afford it), but it didn't stop me. I went to my local library and searched for books on contracts.

I found Nolo's books to be especially valuable. Their books will help you develop contracts (and everything else) you need to get your business off the ground. Many of their books also have CD-ROMs, which will save you the time you need to copy everything by hand. Read the books, and if you like them, purchase a copy of the ones you like so you can legally use the CDs to create your own contracts. Consider Nolo's books to be the "how" part.

For the "why" part, look no further than The Internet Legal Guide by Dennis Powers. This book was ESSENTIAL to me, and I found it to be a valuable guide to helping me create my contract. It also pointed out other areas of Internet law that I was previously unaware of (and clarifying those that I was aware of, but did not perfectly understand as they applied to the Web). Again, go to your library and check the book out.

If your library does not have these books available, don't worry just yet. Request an inter-library loan. Most libraries should be able to accomodate your ILL request with no problem.

And please, don't spam other people's threads with your problems. You did the right thing by starting your own, which is where I was going to post this. But submitting your post in triexa's thread prompted me to reply here instead.

How ironic that the advice I just gave you will also help triexa as well .

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thanks Dan. I was also hoping for more of an actually contract, not just an outline. Nevertheless, thanks for all the info, and I'll check into some of those.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nolo's books and The Internet Legal Guide (both are written by attorneys) have actual contracts you can use. However, it is best to have an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction (preferably one that specializes in small business, intellectual property and Internet law) reveiw any contracts you plan to use so he or she can check to make sure they are legally binding, and adequetely protect and represent your interests, as well as those of your clients.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robotic
    Why is no one willing to share there template and/or contracts? I would really like to see one from someone from SitePoint, rather than a random crappy site online that you can find.
    The main reason people aren't going to share their contracts and legal forms is because most (should) have gone through the process of finding a lawyer and having one written specifically for them in regards to their business and their location (every state has specific laws). After spending the time and money on doing that, what person would want to provide that information for free to anyone ... especially since it would be to their competitors. Besides the costs, like I said, the contract given to you from someone online may not even be legal in the state you are in. The only way to be sure is to discuss it with your lawyer.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script