User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

website pricing????

hi!
    i recently designed a mock home page for a company --and the owner loved it! he wants me to create a new site for him.....but i'm not sure what to charge. it's a static site, but it looks really cool. no java or crazy stuff...it just looks good.

check it out at www.tangenttracking.com/2lookout.htm

there are eight links off the home page. and this is my first client. i've heard that average rates are $3000 to $10000 for basic small business sites. any advice as to what i should charge?

also, how does 'monthly maintenance' work?
    and, upon purchasing the site, is he buying the design only? so uploading the site is what he's buying? OR do i need to hand over the actual design files as well?

I know it's alot, but i'm clueless!!!!
    THANKS!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you have a contract with him that states otherwise, the designer usually keeps the original files.

As for pricing, do a search on these forums. There's been many people that have asked the same questions.

For me, what it boils dow to is "what do you feel happy with?" If you charge someone $300 and you feel like you got good money then good job.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a very nice looking design.

As Creole said, charge what you are comfortable with. But, I don't think I would drop a $10,000 bill on my very first client.

You also have to charge what your client is comfortable with. If you want $1,000 for your hard work, but the client is only willing to part with $800, take the $800. It's not what you wanted, but it pays the bills.
    Rob Nolan
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really glad that somebody asked this question cos I was gonna post something similar as I have got my first private client from examples of my work that I do for my work experience employer .

Just wanna say thanks to everyone here cos its you guys that have helped my do this.

Personally I am going to charge small rates for my early work until I have a decent portfolio that I can use to promote myself.

Thanks again and good luck buttercube

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like they said, charge what you feel comfortable with, not what you 'heard' is good. Also make sure the client agrees with the price before you do the work.
    A possibility is to charge an hourly rate rather than a flat fee (also do this on the monthly updates).

As for the files. Of course you should keep the originals, but I also reccomend you give the client a copy besides what is uploaded. I would not give the layered/raw PSD's or whatever though, just the graphics as modified. I usually do this by giving a copy of the site burned onto a CD. (I also include a copy of the contract on here, so they can always know who did the site).
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site

I do freelance, and if i developed that site, i would charge around $2,000 USD to the client. Also, you should charge a recuring maintenance fee. This allows you to update the site if it needs it, and gives the client piece of mind.
    SiteTell.com: Get the best viral marketing tool on the planet and watch as the number of unique visitors to your site soars!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heyy,

i believe you should get yourself as many clients for a decent portfolio first then start charging high $

so basically, i'd go with what glenplake and RogueJedi said

goodluck
    Rush
    Glad to be BACK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the others about building a reputation etc etc, portfolio and referrals before charging what you think you deserve.

Here in middle earth, for a site like that you would be lucky to get $1000 (roughly $500USD). People are so stingy! But then if you can get more, get it, their loss is your gain, as long as you don't rip them off and let them know it.
    Oh no! the coots are eating my nodes!

<C²: web standards /> cybercodeur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personnaly, I have decided that everything I was doing was charged at 30$ per hour. I keep my originals and the simplest thing is charged according to my hourly fee.
    Denis Boudreau <C²/> - Web Standards & Accessibility
    [+] ICQ number: 115649885 || Email: denis@cybercodeur.net
    [+] Daily Weblog on Web standards and accessibility : CYBERcodeur.net

Not a post-script error?!! guysmy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The publishing firm I work at is charging $1,000 USD for a site I'm designing. It's a small site however for a fine artist.