SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Sponsorship

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sponsorship

- If you had an unique project that only costs a very small amount of money that you can easily pay yourself (say $20 a month), will you still be able to ask companies for sponsorship? if so, what are you supposed to tell them? (since you don't need a sponsor to cover any costs)

- What usually determines the amount of money your project deserves?

- Are you expected to spend sponsorship money on the project only, or are you free to do whatever you want with it?

Your help is appreciated

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I guess I wouldn't ask someone else to sponsor a project that I could pay for. Most "sponsors" are in it for a reason -- generally financial gain. Why give away part of your profits on a low budget project?
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would i give them anything? As far as i know, sponsors support you with money as long as you display their ads (or clearly show that they're sponsoring you), and some extra money wouldn't hurt.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think sponsors are still there for either a) financial gain, or b) to get their name out there and/or change the way the public looks at them. For example, if your website was to try and get people more aware about a certain illness, some company could perhaps sponsor it just to get their name on something good. Do they get revenue this way? Probably, since it'll likely send customers their way. So I guess B is mostly just a cover for A, lol

So, show them that in the long run they'll definately get that $20/mo back, plus some, and you'll be able to find that sponsor. I don't see many companies taking a loss unless they have something to show or prove.

Your other questions (how much on the project, can you put it elsewhere) would depend on your agreement with the sponsor. What this is starting to sound more like is you selling advertising space, and not really looking for a "sponsor". Have you looked into any of the companies that will pay per view or pay per click? On a new website, it might be difficult to get that number up to $20 immediately, but the potential exists and the networks are already setup to match you with advertisers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually i wouldn't mind paying the $20 myself. And i wouldn't waste my time looking for a company to cover that small price. What i meant is that i get paid much more (say $500+?) so they can sopnsor the site and have their ads on it or whatever.

The PPC or PPV methods are troublesome. Business men will probably think i'm tricking them into paying more, so i'd like to avoid trouble and charge by month.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think sponsor might be the wrong word, it sounds like you're just trying to sell Ad space on your site. Sitepoint even has a place to discuss selling & buying space in their marketplace: http://www.sitepoint.com/marketplace...?categoryid=24.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mPeror
    Why would i give them anything? As far as i know, sponsors support you with money as long as you display their ads (or clearly show that they're sponsoring you), and some extra money wouldn't hurt.
    You're confusing sponsors with advertisers.

Two completely different kettle of fish.