SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAC - Firefox bug? was fine 6 months ago

I just started getting emails from a client about their drop down menus not working in MAC Firefox (seems to work fine in Safari and PC Firefox & IE).. the page in question is peakrecords.com .. if you click on the artist button and then click on any artist's link and go to their page, then click on the artist button again and try to click on another artist's name ... they are saying it does nothing.

Cant reproduce it on a PC in any browser!

Now the weird part is this has worked fine for over a year .. they just noticed it last month so Im wondering if its an update to FF that is causing it. (there has been no change to the code.

thanks

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can confirm it does not work at all in Mac Firefox 1.5, not on first click of an artist or any subsequent click - the artist list actually dissapears when you click an artist name - it's also a little flaky in Safari though it does "work" (some of the menu sometimes loses visibility when you mouse over it).

Perhaps you can swap in different .js and CSS that works better cross browser, like: http://www.htmldog.com/articles/suck...le/bones1.html

Very nice, rich looking site BTW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it is most likely "updates" to the Flash player and not Safari or Firefox, which changed the way Flash movies are displayed a little (Flash has historically always been on top IIRC) in relation to the rest of the pages' HTML.

Is some cases the Flash on the page seems to be obscuring the menu (and/or interacting with it in undesirable way/s) - you may need to make the Flash movies "transparent" - either way I would fiddle with that a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wozniak
    I believe it is most likely "updates" to the Flash player and not Safari or Firefox, which changed the way Flash movies are displayed a little (Flash has historically always been on top IIRC) in relation to the rest of the pages' HTML.

Is some cases the Flash on the page seems to be obscuring the menu (and/or interacting with it in undesirable way/s) - you may need to make the Flash movies "transparent" - either way I would fiddle with that a bit.
    Yes but that only applies to the main page, all the other pages have no Flash on them so it doesnt apply! And BTW the Flash movies are already set to transparent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton
    Yes but that only applies to the main page, all the other pages have no Flash on them so it doesnt apply! And BTW the Flash movies are already set to transparent.
    I noticed that just about all the Flash is set to transparent (of course right after I posted) and checked the other pages without Flash - as you know - same deal.

Would you consider taking the contact page and making a test with some other .js? I am by no means a JavaScripting pro, but the Suckerfish code seems to not be similarly affected.

Paul O'B would know for sure if there was some silver bullet CSS that would fix this - I am not sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wozniak
    I noticed that just about all the Flash is set to transparent (of course right after I posted) and checked the other pages without Flash - as you know - same deal.

Would you consider taking the contact page and making a test with some other .js? I am by no means a JavaScripting pro, but the Suckerfish code seems to not be similarly affected.

Paul O'B would know for sure if there was some silver bullet CSS that would fix this - I am not sure.
    Honestly dont have the time to build another page for them and or test new js ... they got far more than they shoudl have for the original site and they are the slowest payers this side of hell! Getting money out of them is like pulling teeth!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have any ideas?