SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS & Tables (looks fine in IE7/Netscape8/Firefox, but is a mess in Opera 9.02) Help?

Good Day All,

I am trying to update our company's old web site to utilize CSS and to new standards. I am running into an issue when placing the POS terminals product page on-line. The old page used a table. I tried to convert it using only CSS was not experiencing much success, and have instead created a combination table & CSS.

This morphing of a table & CSS appears correctly in IE7, Netscape 8 and is acceptable in Firefox 1.5 (some of the images are not aligning to the top as they do in IE7 and Netscape). In Opera 9.02, the top table insists on sitting behind the left navigation bar which is confusing me. Can anybody help me?

I am new to CSS, and have little to no support at my company, and appreciate any input. Here is a link to the page:

http://www.primaxpayments.com/test/terminals092806B.htm

I've uploaded the CSS in a text document.

Thanks in advance for any help and assistance.

Respectfully,
    Jeff Fioravanti
    Attached Files Attached Files

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't use position: absolute for the images. Instead, float them left and give the unordered lists a margin-left wider than the width of the images.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tyssen!!! The info now appears correctly and consistent in IE7, Netscape 8 and Firefox. I appreciate the input.

I am still experiencing some problems with in Opera however. The top table is being pushed down and under the left navigation. Any thoughts on why the top table is behaving in such a manner?

http://www.primaxpayments.com/test/terminals092806B.htm

I've also included the updated css in a text file. As I continue to plug along, I appreciate any input on to why this is occurring in Opera. Thanks.

Respectfully,
    Jeff Fioravanti
    Attached Files Attached Files

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick look at your page with the Tidy HTML extension shows you're missing a few closing tags. Run your page through a validator and sort out the errors.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice Tyssen. I've just performed the test via the w3 validator and am in the process of fixing the errors.

Respectfully,
    Jeff Fioravanti