SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quoting from other news sites in my news section...

Hi,

I am due to launch my site next month a site for window cleaners in the UK and I have a page called "News & Views" in which I am planning to include news from around the world and local window cleaning news of interest to my users.

I quote my source at the beggining and link to the original article at the end.

Are there any copywrite problems I may encounter or will I have to ask permission from each site as I go along?

Please if you could advise be that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Elliot
    Last edited by elliotmason; Oct 3, 2006 at 07:35.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically, yes. You are using content that you have not secured permission to use. I'd send them a registered letter requesting permission to syndicate their content on your site before you launch.

The worst that could happen is they could say "Thank you for your interest, but we're really sorry. We're going to have to say 'no' to your request."

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    contact them and ask. that's the way to go.

if site is going to be highly visible/visited you might end up in trouble... maybe not. but asking avoids the hassle and most likely they will allow you to quote them.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Essential for anyone:
    Web Law 2005: A Field Guide to Internet Publishing
    By: Jonathan D hart

Get yourself a copy and read what the law is... pay attention to the penalties. $150,000 per occurence. It is not neccessary for you to profit from the use, or any other common "Defense". The law is very clear.

News content is very expensive to produce and the news agencies vigorously defend their IP and copyrights. Copyright and licensing enforcement is profit center for them...

If you need news then do it legally and license the content from services such as AP, Reuters, All Headline News, AFP, etc..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thanks for the help, the problem I have is that I was hoping to put news articles up there every day. Is this US law you are refering to as I am in the UK. Also the page will be in a login only area for window cleaners so not open to everyone but I still don't want to take any risks.

I have emailed the editor of that newspaper anyway.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter. If the server is based in the US, then it is subject to US law. If it's in Japan, then it's subject to Japanese law.

Also, the big media outlets have corporate presences in various countries, so don't think they can't reach you in your jurisdiction if you violate their copyright laws--because they can and will.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually copyrights are Internationl law issues and most countries are signatories to the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works.

In fact many jurisdictions it is even more stringent and can include both criminal and civil penalties.

Most media outlets actually perfer the UK courts as it is even easier and faster to gain verdicts and judgements.

Put it this way.. $150,000 per violation if you violate the copyright. If they can prove that you knowingly did it then the damages are trebled, meaning $450,000 and that is in addition to any actual damages and any court costs and attorney fees.... It's not uncommon and the media companies can and will enforece their rights. I don't blame them... content costs to produce..

The fact that you put the news in areas where not everyone can get to it doesn't matter...

Again if you are going to use the content then you should do the right thing and pay for the right to do so.

Even giants like Google who attempted to try to weasle out of paying to use the content were cowed to submission into paying the fees for AP and AFP.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay thanks,

This thread actually now appears in google when searching for my site so I had better take it down (and edit my original post).

I have got permission from the UK newspsper to use their story but the US stories are not that interesting so I'll take them down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, congrats!