SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website, both business related and private

So I am in the works for the next redesign of my site. I have had this one for about 19 or so months and want to redesign mine to coincide with the next CSS reboot.

Along with the new design, I am planning on adding all new content. My site currently is 100% business related, with my new site, I am considering adding a personal blog in which I would discuss various issues I feel strongly about. This is where my current hang up is. I want to place my business related blogs on the home page and everything else on a different one. The other topics would include, but not be limited to religion, politics and day-to-day thoughts.

Should I expect any major issues looking for freelance work using a hybrid personal/professional website?
    Last edited by rhlowe; Sep 29, 2006 at 13:58.
    San Diego Freelance Web Development Contractor
    Great Taste, no Filler. Now with no Trans Fat!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI,

I think this post would have been more suited in another part of the forum but who cares!

I think there are some issues when doing this and have thought about it myself but there are many sites that do this in many different ways and to some extent some really benefit from it as it gives them and their site a strong identity.

One that springs to mind is www.simplebits.com. Dan Cederholm combines both his blog and his business in one site very well. Loads of sites do what he does. Blog on the front page with a link to "work"- their portfolio.

Others that do it differently are http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/ and http://kevadamson.com/ which both have an intro page summing up what the sites about, which gaurantees to save any confusion.

I think done properly and carefully it can be advantageous but done incorrectly and you can end up confusing potential clients. One surefire way to get around this is to put the business end up front on the front page and link the blog/personal page from there.

Having said that You've said you wanted to do it the other way round, with the blog on the front page. If you want to do that go for it but just make it very clear what the sites focus is. Perhaps just have an excert of your latest article and link from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply, I definitely could not decide what section was most appropriate for this thread.

Your suggestion is what I planned on, putting business related content on the home page and non-business related stuff elsewhere.
    San Diego Freelance Web Development Contractor
    Great Taste, no Filler. Now with no Trans Fat!