SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Browser Adjustments

I've seen a lot of advice on how to correct IE formatting errors. I'm wondering what is the best way to do it.

For example, I'm trying to get two images of different heights and set side by side, to line up on the bottom. I've put them in a table and set valign to bottom. In FF all is well while in IE one is 3 pixels higher. I know that I could correct this for IE by setting the margin-bottom in the CSS to -3px but that would throw FF off.

I've seen a number of ways to handle this including conditional CSS within the head of the html file and a PHP script that links different CSS files depending upon the browser. I would rather not maintain more than one version of the CSS for any given project and I would rather not spread the CSS out, putting some in the html.

Would anyone here like to chime in on their favorite method? I know there are others.

.* draziW tnioPetiS *. bronze trophy
    "Then I figure the most good good guy will win."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conditional comments are my fav.

At first I was a bit put-off by having to maintain all those extra style sheets, but I am now really happy with how they work.

I think your other option would be an inline filter:

Code:
    /*\*/
    * html .element { padding-bottom: -3px }
    /**/
    I am sure others will be able to help better though.

Good luck,
    Cheers,
    Micky
    Last edited by mhulse; Sep 29, 2006 at 19:57.