SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is the use of @

im reading some php samples and i wondering what is the use of @ sign in this code.. can som1 explain this.. tnx

$doencrypt=false;
    if (@$_REQUEST["do"]=="encrypt")
    $doencrypt=true;

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It suppresses the warning message if there is no element with index 'do' in the $_REQUEST array.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Keep it simple, stupid! bokehman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is also slower than isset().

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't rely on it too heavily, it can have the effect of hiding logic errors from you when debugging code.
    Except where things might fail for technical reasons (e.g copying from remote server) it's best not to supress error messages or warning arbitrarily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to work with a guy who liked to do just that, use the @ operator to suppress error messages coming from functions. The worst part was that he used it on the topmost function of his framework, which had the side effect of supressing errors in all subsequent functions called by this one (ie: all the other function calls), therefore making the entire application impossible to debug, since the page would just fail silently without any visible errors.

Be *very* careful with the @ operator and its side effects.
    Garcia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghurtado
    suppress error messages coming from functions
    It is not being used in that context here. It is being used to suppress a notice from a variable that is not set. Normally people use isset to suppress the notice. @ involves less code but takes longer to run. Apart from that the end result is the same. As for displaying errors it's very amateurish and should be avoided in a working environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bokehman
    It is not being used in that context here. It is being used to suppress a notice from a variable that is not set.
    That's irrelevant. The OP wanted to know what was the use of the @ operator, so I think it's important to warn of the dangers of overusing it, specially to someone who just came into contact with it for the first time. My experience reflects precisely those dangers: several hours were spent debugging a simple error as a result of misusing the @ operator when it should have taken minutes.

Normally people use isset to suppress the notice.
    isset() does not supress any notices or errors. It simply returns a boolean value.

As for displaying errors it's very amateurish and should be avoided in a working environment.
    In that case, I would really like to know what your debugging process is. Without being able to see the errors that your application produces as you develop it, how do you locate bugs in your code?

Ironically enough, while I was posting this, the forum database went down. I know this because the sitepoint developers took the trouble to display an error message explaining exactly what the problem was when this happened. Do you consider those developers amateurs for doing this?

Saludos,
    Garcia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    isset() does not supress any notices or errors. It simply returns a boolean value.
    In this context its only purpose though is to suppress a notice. Whether that is done with a boolean or other piece of code is irrelevant.
    I know this because the sitepoint developers took the trouble to display an error message explaining exactly what the problem was when this happened. Do you consider those developers amateurs for doing this?

Saludos,
    It was not a PHP error message though. It was a proper error message for user display. The @ operator was being used to suppress the PHP message in this instance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In that case, I would really like to know what your debugging process is. Without being able to see the errors that your application produces as you develop it, how do you locate bugs in your code?
    You configure your development machine to display errors, and your production server (i.e the one your users use) to NOT display PHP errors, but to instead log them to file. When something fails (e.g DB being down) the users see the error message that you've prepared, and not the PHP error that discloses potentially sensitive information.