SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist jimday1982's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating a new directory

I'm playing with the idea of creating a niche directory site, but I'm having a hard time thinking of ways to monetize it effectively.

Obviously, the idea is to sell listings to advertisers, but of course the traffic has to be there first.

For those of you with successful directory sites, can you provide any tips as to how you first started out? Did you provide free listings just to get some content on the pages? Did you do a lot of link exchanging? I'm looking for a few tips specific to niche directory sites.

Thanks so much!
    Jimmy Day
    Senior Systems Analyst
    Piedmont Healthcare Corporation

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As the owner of over a dozen directories, it has been my experience that niche directories are harder to build traffic to. However, once you've built a successful one, you face less competition and are able to charge more for inclusion and sponsored ads.

How hard is it to promote a niche directory? I suppose it all depends on the niche you're targeting.

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with weblauch that niche directories are more difficult to get traffic to. And you might face an additional problem: lots of unrelated submissions.

I found this forum quite helpful: directory-owners.com/

Good luck with your plans!