SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it worth it to continue school for graphic design/web design

hi, its like my 6th year in college and after changing majors so many times i found that the whole time i was doing art as a hobby and found alot of interest in the web design field.

what i want to know is from everyones experience in the working world. is it worth it to continue school and get a BA degree?

im currently taking a course in graphic design thinking it will help me with web desiging but i was wondering if from everyones experience if learning alone witout school would help and taking a few courses here and there for web design in courses that would take me forever to learn.

do employers except non ba degree people now a days in both web design and graphic design.

thanks for all your helps

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The higher your education the better...If you get a BA in graphic design, your employement chance's will be greater. I would stay in school and continue onward.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no experience with what the requirements maybe in the States (guessing here), why not take a look at some of the job recruitment agency websites, local papers etc to see what requirements may be listed.

Nadia

SitePoint Enthusiast Vivid Image's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don't feel going back to school for design is benificial. I have started my own design firm in our area and we are doing quite well with it. Fortunatly for me, my mom is the dean of tech. at Baker college so whatever books I need, I just ask. So if you have access to the text and programs, I would say, teach yourself.
    Vivid Image Productions

Imagination Reloaded

The MacGyver of Design bronze trophy Johan Dahlström's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it definitely doesn't harm you to be educated. I think that even if you can teach yourself a lot, an education will increase your credibility substantially. And as I self see it, if you're educated and have invested the time and money it really does require, you will also have a "legitimate" reason to charge higher quotes.

In short words: with an education, you're "worth" more.
    http://www.johandahlstrom.se
    Not rebootin' on November 1st! (but shortly after)
    flickr

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IMO, when it comes to education...Go as far as you can

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF you're intrested in Web/Graphic design; portfolios speak louder than qaulifications nowadays. Allthough qualicfications DO help so it's best to stay.
    ChrisGilmore

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it all depends on whether or not you want to be self-employed. Quite honestly, I don't think it helps you to complete a degree if you want to be a self-employed web designer. I think basic design classes are a tremendous and would recommend them to anyone, but after a few semesters, you get into specialized courses that have very little to do with web design. I'd rather spend my $$ on continuing ed-type classes that teach me useful and practical information.

On the other hand, if you want to be employed by a company, I think a degree is extremely helpful in landing the job you want. You have to work harder for less pay to build an OUTSTANDING portfolio if you hope to be a well-paid designer without a degree. Even an Associates degree can be helpful in getting a job.