SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would a few of you guru's please take a look at these two sites for me please.
    <OL TYPE=A>
    <LI>gamespy.com
    <LI>planet starsiege
    </OL>
    I enjoy the way they have their sites set up and would like some of you experienced coders, who are nice enough to lend me some of your knowledge, to help point me in the right direction.
    I know a little about nested tables and am getting more relaxed in working with them, but thats about as far as my knowledge goes.
    My questions are:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>How do i set up tables with borders like those (mainly starseige site)?
    <LI>The top right of the gamespy site has a nice animation, what code do i need to learn to create similar effects?
    <LI>Some of his pages have URLs that are similar to this, "www.folder/folder" without a .htm or .html. Why is that? all the pages i create have to have a .htm or .html. What am i missing here?
    <LI>Finally, Im overwhelmed by the graphics programs, i want nice logo's and animations (similar to gamespys). How do i go about learning to do the this?
    </UL>
    Man i sound like a real leech right now, asking question after question but never answering others, but i promise that after im done learning all this i will give back to the future newcommers to the web design community.
    I appreciate any help you have to offer me and i thank you in advance.
    P.S. I hope this UBB code works, its my first time using it hehe

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by jizbot:
    Would a few of you guru's please take a look at these two sites for me please.
    <OL TYPE=A>
    <LI>gamespy.com
    <LI>planet starsiege
    </OL>
    I enjoy the way they have their sites set up and would like some of you experienced coders, who are nice enough to lend me some of your knowledge, to help point me in the right direction.
    I know a little about nested tables and am getting more relaxed in working with them, but thats about as far as my knowledge goes.
    My questions are:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>How do i set up tables with borders like those (mainly starseige site)?

- hmmm - referring to gamespy, the only thing the tables have to do with this is that they're perfectly sized to match a predesigned background. What you though were rounded borders were actually individual .gif's created in some 3rd party graphics program and then assembled on the webpage, not new fancy table formatting feature. So my guess is, the web designer, built a background from separate elements (and if you right click over the backgrounds so you can confirm this for yourself), assembled them on the web page, and then sized his/her's tables to match that "super graphic" exactly.

<LI>The top right of the gamespy site has a nice animation, what code do i need to learn to create similar effects?

- this piece was entirely created in Macromedia Flash. Considering what it looks like - it's not terribly difficult only time consuming to produce. Flash speeds up animation production through a process called "tweening". All that means is that you supply the point A and point B, and it'll interpolate all the frames in between so that the finished result is a smooth animation. In the past, animators had to produce EVERY slide, but with Flash, all you do is give the start and end points and let it do the rest...Of course, Flash can do way more than what can be discussed within the scope of this message...I'm told this can be accomplished in Javascript by hand, but for the time you would invest in coding and debugging, you can invest a fraction of it in Flash and get better effects.

<LI>Some of his pages have URLs that are similar to this, "www.folder/folder" without a .htm or .html. Why is that? all the pages i create have to have a .htm or .html. What am i missing here?

- by default, web browsers look for an index.htm or index.html file every time it accesses a web server and/or directory on that server. The contents of this index file could be the home page or sub-home page of each folder. For instance, if you typed in "www.gamespy.com/index.htm", or simply, "www.gamespy.com" you would get the same result. So, so long as you have an index.htm file in EVERY single folder and subfolder, you can keep your visitors on your website and out of your directories.

<LI>Finally, Im overwhelmed by the graphics programs, i want nice logo's and animations (similar to gamespys). How do i go about learning to do the this?

- If you had to learn anything right now, learn Flash and Photoshop. Photoshop is the beast of the 2 but, it is the de facto standard for graphics creation. Photoshop gives you incredible control over your graphics right down to the exact size of them, and as we all know, in web design, size does matter. Flash, on the other hand, will give you the ability to create animated .gif's and all kinds of shnazzy effects, and IMHO, you stick with those 2 (for now) and you'll be fine. As far as learning, stop by Barnes and Nobles and pick up any of the Flash 4, or Photoshop guides, OR if you want to save a buck - try www.flashplanet.com, www.webdeveloper.com and look for primers, or beginner's guides.

</UL>
    Man i sound like a real leech right now, asking question after question but never answering others, but i promise that after im done learning all this i will give back to the future newcommers to the web design community.
    I appreciate any help you have to offer me and i thank you in advance.
    P.S. I hope this UBB code works, its my first time using it hehe
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "by default, web browsers look for an index.htm or index.html file every time it accesses a web server and/or directory on that server. The contents of this index file could be the home page or sub-home page of each folder."

It's actually the server which determines the default page to load, so, if I setup my Webserver's default document as HiThere.asp, and someone requested domain.com/dir/, then they'd get HiThere.asp not index.htm.

Don't worry about the 'leeching', after all we're here to answer questions.

------------------
    Who the heck is Gen. Failure and why does he want to read my hard drive?
    Soon to come: Aspology.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow...

thank you very much for the info you posted. It helped me a great deal!!!
    I have yet another question on that topic.
    I guess i hadnt thought about making subdirectories for my sites pages yet... I know that whatever image files i use on any givin page have to be in the same directory, or in a subdirectory right??
    So if i start making new directories for page sections of my website, i suppose i would then have to make new directories for my images. am i correct?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I have yet another question on that topic.
    I guess i hadnt thought about making subdirectories for my sites pages yet... I know that whatever image files i use on any givin page have to be in the same directory, or in a subdirectory right??
    So if i start making new directories for page sections of my website, i suppose i would then have to make new directories for my images. am i correct?"

This is one of the things that makes HTML programming such a fiercely personal experience. The choice to use subdirectories for images should be driven by the size and the content of the site. For instance, if you decide you wanted to upload say 1,000 jpg's of family photos, naturally you wouldn't want to put them ALL in one directory, it makes linking in a WYSIWYG editor problematic(because you're scrolling for hours just to find the one file you're looking for). One suggestion would be to put any and all IMAGE files into one directory but separate them by content. For instance have:

- www/images/buttons
    - www/images/logos
    - www/images/photoalbum
    - www/images/photoalbum/21st birthday
    - www/images/photoalbum/wedding

etc and ad infinitum...

As your site grows, and in my opinion, it would be easier to know that you only had to go to one location to go to if you were searching for a file. Think about it, you've got 15 subdirectories in your /www/ root, EACH has an image subdirectory, you copy an image file to ONE of these directories, and then promptly forget. You'll have to go through 15 image folders in 15 different other main folder before you find the one you're looking for. Best to an organized cascading tree form to help you quickly identify the location of your files...

for what it's worth...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>I know that whatever image files i use on any givin page have to be in the same directory, or in a subdirectory right??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so. Say you have the following two files on your site:

/somedir/page.html
    /images/image.gif

Now image.gif is not in the same directory as, nor is it in a subdirectory of page.html. Nevertheless, we can include the image in the file:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code/font><HR><pre>&lt;IMG SRC="../images/image.gif"&gt;[/code]

The ".." in the path tells the browser to go back up the directory tree by one level. You can use this as often as you need. For a deeply-nested HTML file, for example:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">code/font><HR><pre>&lt;IMG SRC="../../../../images/image.gif"&gt;[/code]

This can be used for links (using &lt;A HREF&gt; ) as well.

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!