SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kinda new need some i guess advise here

Alright long story short i lost my internet after redoing a course for the second time lol. I felt i didn't quite understand it the first time(i'm kinda psycho about stuff where i feel i have to remember 100% of it or i'll fail). Well i just got back online (taking web database adminstration threw gatlin online) i forgot some of the stuff where i need to go back threw it again won't take me long. But i just looking for some advise? Threw html/css part of my course theres like 5 different ways of doing everything from type of text to everything.
    Is there a standard like one way out of them ways most people tend to do things?
    It's just very confusing when one lesson i got a example of one way of saying doing text and color or something. Then my next lesson comes along for say i don't know images or something and they show some sample code and its done the completely different way. Makes things very confusing and frustrating.

I'm just looking for some tips to get threw this course so i can get my cert. and i want to know what im doing and do it well. Because my work sent me to school for it because i guess im the best candiate. so i took the offer and i got alot of experience on computers just not much web design experience.
    Just feel lost here. I also think maybe i feel lost cause sometimes i'm tryin to go farther then i have learned so far in lessons or somethin.
    Thanks for some tips in advance. just lookin for maybe ways to go about learning this better.
    NOOB IN TRAINING

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it depends. You can either do things properly or you can do what they want and pass nicely. Hopefully they are both the same, but my flatmate did a course in webdesign last year at his college of graphic design and they taught him to make his layouts using tables. That is wrong because tables are supposed to be used to display tabular data, not to create a layout. So, it depends on what they want (it seems like the most important thing to you is to get your cert).

If you can be more specific, then maybe we can give you some guidance.

Robert Wellock silver trophybronze trophy xhtmlcoder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically want to read up on HTML 4.01 Strict and CSS http://www.w3.org/ (there are a few tutorials there) if you want to use the standard way.

Also maybe useful http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/HTML

Though neither will pass the course for you are you using an Editor or hand-rolling the code?