SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Metadata and the DCMI

So I realised today that when you bookmark something with Firefox, it uses the description metadata in the HTML as a description for the bookmark. Makes sense. So far I had not bothered to use a single meta tag on my website (not even http-equiv="Content-Type") but now I realise they may actually have some use (since I know most decent search engines largely ignore them).

Then I came across the DCMI accidentally while I was looking at someone's source. It seems quite interesting, and so I decided to add the DC.date metadata in order to easily see when the file was last modified (PHP inserts the correct date automatically).

What is your opinion on meta tags? What about the DCMI? Is it a load of ******** or quite a good idea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles
    not even http-equiv="Content-Type"
    IMO that's a job for the server-side anyway
    I know most decent search engines largely ignore them
    Actually, that's not altogether true - IIRC Google uses the description meta-element in the absense of other information (e.g. a dmoz entry).
    What is your opinion on meta tags? What about the DCMI? Is it a load of ******** or quite a good idea?
    My belief is that adding extra meta-information is a great idea, as long as it is useful and correct. Adding useless meta-data (such as the spam that people used to pump into the meta-keywords element) is pointless and doesn't help anybody.

To be honest, I think Microformats are more useful and relevant today than DCMI. That said, I have no experience with DCMI or it's uses.
    Olly Hodgson
    thinkdrastic.net

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarly
    IMO that's a job for the server-side anyway
    I agree, that's why I don't use it. But everyone else does, so sometimes I wonder whether I ought to to, to be on the safe side.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarly
    Actually, that's not altogether true - IIRC Google uses the description meta-element in the absense of other information (e.g. a dmoz entry).
    Oh, I thought the description one was one that google especially ignored.

I agree, metadata is a good idea. For example, it is a good thing to be able to show when the page was last updated and while some people do add a date, a lot don't. Having metadata that contains such a date might be useful at some later date.

I'd never heard of microformats before, but sort of seen them in action. Lightbox JS for instance uses the rel tag for image sets and quirksmode.org adds a "type" attribute to some links to attach a certain behaviour to them. Pretty cool and a great idea I think.