SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a good school for web designing?

hi, im located in Los Angeles, California

I have done my homework but am coming up empty handed

i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a school somewhere around my area that will assist me in learning how to:

-design professional webpages
    -learn languages like php, css, asp, flash + actionscript, coldfusion
    and so on

im currently kind of forced to learn on my own although at my college i have a php class comming up and am taking a few courses in graphic design

for some reason i cant find any school that will gear towards web design and hence im studying graphic design currently which is a boring career but good to know

seems like the colleges so far have the courses but nothing with a school such as a university that gear towards the web designing direction..

any suggestions?

i would study the whole thing on my own, which i am, but i dont have the time anymore know what i mean..

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm willing to be proven wrong on this, but I've found that most "proper" college-type courses tend to end up teaching fairly old techniques (tables even frames!) because it usually takes quite a while to formalise a course. Obviously the problem with this is that you end up learning old techniques just to get the piece of paper at the end of it and then you still have to teach yourself the stuff afterwards anyway!

Official courses tend to be slow to be formulated and slow to change. I've done a couple myself but ended up quitting when I was faced with having to re-learn how to use frames on one of them! In the end I've found it much easier and more up to date to self-learn. That way you can keep right on top of the latest thinking.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailslide
    I'm willing to be proven wrong on this, but I've found that most "proper" college-type courses tend to end up teaching fairly old techniques (tables even frames!) because it usually takes quite a while to formalise a course. Obviously the problem with this is that you end up learning old techniques just to get the piece of paper at the end of it and then you still have to teach yourself the stuff afterwards anyway!

Official courses tend to be slow to be formulated and slow to change. I've done a couple myself but ended up quitting when I was faced with having to re-learn how to use frames on one of them! In the end I've found it much easier and more up to date to self-learn. That way you can keep right on top of the latest thinking.

What I found, from doing several courses is that the higher the course and with the "better" colleges and uni's they tend to do things a lot better.

Anyhow, with college you are getting a real qualification and learning a broader scope. It's no good JUST knowing how to do one thing, that won't make you a good designer and developer. When I was going through college and uni I often found myself thinking "but this isn't going to help me with what I want to do", then when I got into the real world, suddenly I found myself requiring these other things.

So...

If I were you I would stick with college as it will teach you other stuff that you absolutely need. Then start learning the bits College doesn't teach you off your own back (try buying Sitepoints books, they are pretty good).

Another thing to note:

A lot of colleges teach in a certain way, the idea is "if you can program in one language you can pick up another" so basically they stay a bit behind because if you learn this stuff the newer stuff will come a lot easier.

Sure you will get taught tables and I think you should be taught them, but you should also be taught CSS too. I've never been in the position of not being taught both because we were.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarmenhb
    i would study the whole thing on my own, which i am, but i dont have the time anymore know what i mean..
    I think you'll find that a lot of professional web designers did /do just that. Learn everything themselves. There are plenty of books, online tutorials to help you. The only course I ever did was a course in computers (and I wasn't all that young at the time :-), the rest I've learned with lots of reading and lots and lots of practise - trial and error, it's the only way to go.

Good Luck

Nadia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for all your comments

i have this web design course in school, i dont know if i talked about it
    and ya the teacher goes over the old techniques and styles, i mean the pages are soo old, like how to setup a picture on the page and so forth
    and he will talk about css, xhtml, and php

and not to long ago i went to the store and go a good book for beginners from the store that teaches php

its called: php, mysql, and apache all in one by julie c. meloni.

its a well organized book.

and as for school, i really havent been a school person, always liked learning things on my own but i guess its best, so what i've decided to learn at school and at a uni when i transfer is some graphic design and take a few courses in flash and related so i have a degree at hand just in case.

so ill see how things work out

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Julie Meloni came out with a new PHP book? I'll have to look into that one.

As for learning, your best bet would be to learn it yourself. However, do not dismiss what the instructor tries to pass off as "best practice" (tables for layout, etc). There are still some clients in the real world that will not let you work with modern Web standards, and will demand that you code your sites using tables, slices, layers and whatnot because it works with their system.

There was a thread about this started not too long ago. If you haven't read it yet, I strongly suggest doing so.