SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banners still effective?

I've been using text links for quite some time and decided to have a look into banners. Did some research and found that banners do not perform as well as text links? I would of though differently, doesn't the image catch the attention more easily than text?

Just wanted to know what your thoughts were on banners and if its worth investing in?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO the effectiveness of a banner depends upon the design and attention grabbing contents and more important where you are going to place it.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You can guesstimate the effectiveness of banners just by asking yourself when was the last time you clicked on one.

Most folks access the Internet for information and the chance that they will click to other relevant sources placed within the text is greater than they will scan the page for what they need.

Those who are shopping will generally do a search for the product or service they want.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Banner blindness is real ... that's why embedded text ads have done (relatively) so well.

Shyflower is right about surfing habits -- I always find that I can figure out what my visitors will do by asking how I do it myself. It'll work for you, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't say that I've clicked on a banner ad in a long time.

Banners are probably more suited to creating product awareness.

For instance a movie studio may purchase 100's of 1000's of views for a new release movie but not get many clicks, the ad catches the users attention and they can read the movie is coming out Sept 24th but they dont click the ad, most likely because they are aware of the movie from other advertisement mediums.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed that banners are making somewhat of a comeback...perhaps not the standard sizes (e.g. 468x60 and 728x90) that everyone had grown ad-blind to. I'm talking about the square banners that you see more and moer often on a lot of sites like yahoo.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks some really usefull info here

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess as to why banners are clicked on less is that one can visualize the what the site is about by what they see on the ad. A text ad - if the text sounds interesting - merits more "investigation". A banner ad to me helps give me enough info at first glance to make a decision if I want to go there or not, IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that now that there are so many ad sizes out there, traditional banner ads may really be coming back, though in various formats.

I agree with the notion of "have you clicked on one recently"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now prefer to use banners to create intrasite navigation. If its a different section - I present it like its a banner on some sites. A good example of this is a site I currently maintain - thirdworldproductions.org

I inherited this one so the design isnt really my over all plan. To help navigation, I section things off on the front page with banners to the sites primary pages / sections.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Banners can be entirely effective if the placement is relevant, the creative is compelling and the offer is good enough. However, dollar for dollar, banners generally do not preform as well as contextual ads on search engines or content networks. It is always worth testing to see what works for your site but to really make the most of a banner campaign, you need a pretty sizable spend.
    - Ted S

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Banner ad is just like you're making ad on TV, newspaper, etc. You make people know you, but can't promise click throughs.

Text links at has an introduction of your service, and for those interested, the chance to get clicked is higher than banners, though text link is not so staring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, the click-through rates of banner ads are relatively low as compared to text ads and links. Banner ads are more effective from the branding and promotion point of view.

100% Uptime Cloud Hosting
    || Dedicated Servers
    Email :: sales @ eUKhost.com
    Complete Web Hosting solutions at eUKhost.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been looking into banner ads myself. but i always ask myself: "do i click on other peoples banners?" Very rarely. Text ads are more effective. but if i see the same banner on two different sites, i tend to rememeber the site name by then. Just my two cents.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a survey done earlier this year that produced some interesting results about advertising and banner ads.

The survey found that banner ads that were in context with their surroundings (the article - the pictures - the story etc.) were often not seen by surfers.

However ads that were out of context with their surrounds were more likely to be seen and clicked on.

We tried it for a short time with a limited amount of traffic and saw no real difference but I guess everyone's mileage will vary.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by choward93
    I have been looking into banner ads myself. but i always ask myself: "do i click on other peoples banners?" Very rarely. Text ads are more effective.
    Exactly. Selling on the web is text-driven, nothing happens until someone writes the words that get people to click, sign up, read, register, order, subscribe, or buy whatever you’re selling.
    I Love Hits | TrafficRoundup | StartXchange | TrafficG | EasyHits4U
    a top traffic exchange system, is an excellent tool to drive visitors to your website.