User Tag List

Thread: Htmal

SitePoint Member webdesignbycarol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Htmal

Could some please explain HTMAL to me. Not sure how it works. This is a question asked to me from my son who is studing web design and it's not something I have used before.

Example:
    Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-trasitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type"content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1"/>
    <title></title>
    </head>
    <h1>Planning and Organizing a Web Site</h1>
    <body>
    Here are some of the steps you need to follow to create a Web site, such as organizing the content, outlining the site, creating a couple of pages, and adding graphics and links. Before you begin creating your pages, you should organize your content. This means working out exactly what you want to say and what you want to include on your pages.
    <h2>Determine your target audience</h2>
    Think about who your visitors are. Find more information about them. The more you understand your users, the better you can plan the site to suit their needs and attract their interest.
    <h3>Consider the purpose of the site.</h3>
    If you want to put some content, assemble your text before you start your pages. If you are designing a business site, consider what the business is looking to achieve through its Web presence. Do you want to provide product information? Give customers access to technical-support information and staff? These are just a few of the areas you should think about before you begin to design your site.
    <h4>Sketch a web-site folder layout</h4>
    Sketch some ideas on how to organize the web site before you commit to anything. Pencil and paper are easy to work with, but you will create a formal storyboard later on. Place home page in a directory root, all images in the subfolder with the name <b><i>images</i></b>. In addition you will organize the proposed pages into a flowchart, so that you can sketch which pages relate to each other. Which pages can be accessed from one page, and which cannot. The flowcharting process enables you to plan the <stong><b><i>navigation system</i></b><stong>.
    <p><em>Note/em>Keep it simple. Too often, people try to use complex software to solve simple problems. In most cases, they struggle with the new-fangled software awhile and then return to something simpler and more familiar. Recently, a novice database designer make and inquiry to a discussion group looking for free software tools for database design. Someone replied/p>
    “Pen and paper is free, cross-platform, intuitive, and operating-system independent”.
    </body>
    <body>
    </body>
    </htmal>

Thank you.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is HTML, the HyperText Markup Language. It's the language that forms the foundation of modern Web design. It's main job is to provide the structure of a Web page, while other technologies handle the presentation and behavior of the page.

You'll want to give your son a copy of HTML, XHTML, and CSS Visual Quickstart Guide, 6th Edition by Elizabeth Castro and Designing with Web Standards, 2nd Edition by Jeffery Zeldman so he can learn more about the language and how to design Web sites in general.

Once he's cut his proverbial teeth on the subject, you'll then want to point him to www.alistapart.com for articles on how to achieve certain effects in a standards-compliant, user-friendly and accessible manner. And of course, this site's forums are always here should he need help.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wikipedia also sums it up what it is very well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Html

SitePoint Member webdesignbycarol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both for your help. I figured it had to do with html but it is not something I had come acrossed. I have passed this site and the information onto him.

Thank you again

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a problem. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. We're here 24-7 .