SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coding ERROR: Need assitance

Can someone take a look @ http://www.pcflame.com/view.php and try to figure out whats breaking it? This is really aggrivating me

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3714/errorslo2.jpg these are just some of the errors i spot

SitePoint Evangelist Ed Seedhouse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortee
    Can someone take a look @ http://www.pcflame.com/view.php and try to figure out whats breaking it? This is really aggrivating me
    Start by learning what a DOCTYPE is and why you need one, and then add an appropriate one. Then validate your html against that doctype at the W3C validator
    Ed Seedhouse

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Seedhouse
    Start by learning what a DOCTYPE is and why you need one, and then add an appropriate one. Then validate your html against that doctype at the W3C validator
    Thanks for clueing me in on that, i added the HTML Transitional DOCTYPE, and it fixed alot, but still not all the way.

SitePoint Evangelist Ed Seedhouse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortee
    Thanks for clueing me in on that, i added the HTML Transitional DOCTYPE, and it fixed alot, but still not all the way.
    I suggest you use a strict doctype, but transitional is better than none.

Learning to write valid html/xhtm is an essential skill for working with CSS. CSS is predicated upon valid html/xml/xhtml.

If you give CSS invalid code you can't expect any particular result from it. Many browsers are good at handling invalid code nontheless, but unless you feed the valid code there is no standard rendering you can rely on.

That means that learning how to get your code valid is an essential skill. It can be difficult to learn, but no one can learn it for you. The best way to learn is to wrestle with the error messages from the validator and figure out what they mean.

If you are really stuck by an error message then post it here or another similar forum and ask for help. You'll be more likely to get that help if it is obvious that you are really trying to learn.

But first you should really try quite hard to figure it out on your own since that is the most effective way to learn a skill. And if you are going to keep designing web pages with html and CSS, this is an absolutely essential skill that you must learn to be a successful designer.
    Ed Seedhouse

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Tidy HTML extension for Firefox will be a good one to help you quickly track down errors in your code (although it shouldn't be used as a substitute for the validator).

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyssen
    The Tidy HTML extension for Firefox will be a good one to help you quickly track down errors in your code (although it shouldn't be used as a substitute for the validator).
    Off Topic:

Tyssen, where the heck does this end up - I can't seem to find it after I installed it - or maybe I need a new pair of glasses ;-)

Nadia

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have a little symbol in the bottom right of your window. If your page is good, it'll have a green tick, if not, a yellow warning sign or a red cross. If the symbol doesn't show up, just viewing the source should give you an 'errors and warnings' pane at the bottom left.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah ha ! I'm seeing a little symbol (yellow stop sign with a exclamation mark) on this page... got it now - Thanks !!

Nadia