SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently finished my web site at http://www.wrestlegamez.com/ and I noticed that when viewed at higher resolutions, it seems that the navigation bar is coming out of the background. Can anybody figure out why this is? You can go to the web page itself and just view the source code to get an idea of what I'm doing. I just... don't understand what the problem is. Thanks a lot.

-Josh

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, happens when I view it on 1600x1200.

The problem is that the image specified in the background attribute of the <body> tag is less than the width of the images that say "Home" "Trivia", etc.

Just make the background image wider.

------------------
    Who the heck is Gen. Failure and why does he want to read my hard drive?
    Soon to come: Aspology.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but this kind of confuses me. Why does it look right in my resolution (800 x 600)? And, if I change the width of the background image, won't it look weird in my resolution, too?

-Josh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that the widths of your table columns have been all specified in pixels. As a result, when the browser increases the width of the table to make room for your content, it allocates space to the two columns proportional to the minimum widths you've specified. Thus, the larger the screen, the wider your table is and the wider the table cell containing your menu buttons will be. Since those menu buttons are <CENTER>'ed, they float out over the edge of your border.

Two solutions: first, you could just left-align your buttons by removing the <CENTER> tag around them. Second (and more preferable), set the <TD> containing your body text to WIDTH=100%. This will cause that cell to occupy all the excess width on the page and the menu cell will stick to its assigned minimum width.

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot. One question, though: I use a table column on the far right to make sure the text doesn't hit the scroll bar and thus, making it easier to read. How can I implement what you've said into this? Could I change it so it's <td width=95%> and then add another one to add the space or something similar (making up numbers here, whatever looks good is what I'm gonna end up doing).

-Josh

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to specify the width of my menu bar in pixels and then specify the rest of the content on the right with percentage, but it doesn't work at all. The left table cell shrinks to just the size of the content, and this messes everything up. How can I avoid this?

-Josh