SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash E-commerce site

Well I was recently put in contact with this potential client through a friend saying that she was looking for someone to build her an adult website.

I got in contact with her today and afte throwing out some of my general pricing guidelines and asking what she was looking for in a website she replies saying that she wants me to design her a flash e-commerce website.

I haven't touched flash since flash 5, I'll be honest - and that I barely touched action scripting.

Can someone explain out to me how I would use FlashMX to build an adult site? My experiance with web development is mostly php/mysql and lately I contract that out.

Here is what I have come up with so far:

members login/pw through db - I assume that flash has some sort of action scripting for ocdb connections to a mysql server?
    Flash Video player - that way most uneducated visitors won't be able to download and make freely available the content

what else?
    ~

I appreciate anything you guys would say.. I'm a 2nd year college student so I'm pretty much learning about business and programming as I go.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What type of site is she wanting?

A 'Adult' 'E-commerce' site is a very wide market.
    ChrisGilmore

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd ask her why she thinks it needs to be all done in Flash. Sure you could use Flash for some decorative features but unless she can give you some inarguable reasons why it has to be all done in Flash, I'd try and talk her around. If you're not that familiar with Flash it's going to cost you a lot more to do so I'd let her know that (not that you're not familiar, but that it's going to be more expensive).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to ask her when we met, she replied to my email about meeting this weekend so I figure it would be better to ask once we are in a conversation already and have met.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so as far as doing the actual site in flash though - am I missing some advantage too it that she sees?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should take a look at the XML class and its documentation in the newest versions of FLASH... using that class you can send login details to you php backend and load necessary data from the database to show the dynamic content
    PSD to XHTML slicing | Custom web design and development
    ProArcadeScript - SEO-friendly, modular arcade site script.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you for the suggestion.