SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website design problem

I used a template to design a website in Dreanweaver 8.
    I made several changes to how it looked...all basic changes.
    The site looks good when viewed during the testing process and have tested it in explorer and firefox.

However, when I came to upload it, I lost all of the behaviours and font that came with the template. I noticed that there was 1 file uploaded which was a css file.

How come I can view the website and it works perfectly in test but not when uploaded ?

Please help me save the rest of me hair !!

Tom

SitePoint Enthusiast newdaynewdawn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a DW rider myself... but just on the basics... the fonts themselves would/should be a function of whatever is specified in the CSS file as it will point out the names and order of fonts to use. Given they have shown up correctly in your tests obviously the fonts are present.

The only thing I could think of is to double and triple check the CSS file (open/view directly whatever) and make sure that something bizarre is NOT occuring that is in affect NOT writing and saving your changes out to the given CSS file.

I mean it should be the HTML and the CSS and go.... I'd like to think! Maybe the template is doing something with your changes that you don't think it is?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply !
    I was hoping it might be a simple thing to sort out. This is my first attempt at a website...and I think DW is a tad advanced for me at this time.
    I dont read HTML so I'm not sure what to look for let alone repair it

Have a look Here : www.phoenix.v21hosting.co.uk

The site is nearly as I want it to look except for the Font and the behaviours to the links down the left hand side....ohh ! and my home page don't work either

I checked for broken links site wide and have repaired all of them with no difference to the finished site.
    I dont understand why DW can put the site up in test but fail to deliver the right files to the server

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your stylesheet (css file) is pointing to your hard drive - or at least to your "My documents" folder:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="../../My Documents/Reddish Phoenix Web Site/mm_travel2.css"

Did you define a site in Dreamweaver first before you started work on the page??
    You need to do that to ensure that all your links work correctly.

Nadia

SitePoint Enthusiast newdaynewdawn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a quick glance at the site again... assume you got it straight based on what Nadia said--at least the view source appeared to have the css path corrected.

Step lightly in DW... especially first-timers. Being a hand-coder to date myself (since '99) --while DW does some nice automated things for you I've veered from that path as I personally could always pick the code up by the scruff of the neck and do what I wanted much much quicker. Course I'm quicker to look at a picture and figure what code accompolishes "that" than to design otherwise.

Continue on the path you've started though.
    Bye Now..........

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replies.
    Nadia was right...I changed the path and everything works just fine.

Thanks for your help !
    Tom

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got it working

Nadia