SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on Selling Mailing List

Hello, I run a real estate website and have collected a good sized opt-in mailing list. It's a detailed list with a lot of personal info (including home address, email, phone #, etc.) I know this list would be valuable to Realtors and Mortgage Brokers. Does anyone have any advice on how I could go about selling my list for a fair price? And what about trying to make sure the information is used responsibly?

Thanks,
    A

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did you get the permission of the people on the mailing list to sell their information? If you didn't you've already failed to make sure the information is used responsibly. The only way to remedy that is to change the terms of service for the site that collects this information (and offer a way to remove their information) and then email everyone on the list to notify them of the change of the terms of service. After everyone has had a reasonable amount of time to read the new TOS, let's say a few months, then you can sell that information in good conscience.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, my terms of service say their information may be shared with a 3rd party. And on one of the input forms, above the submit button, it specifically says they agree to be contacted by a Realtor...

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good. After that, if you have stipulations about how you want the data used just put it into a contract.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

one way to use your list responsibly and make sure you make the most of it is to have your potential clients write articles and advertorials on it or to advertise for seminars or similar. The next step would then be to actually run the seminars yourself with the same people that pay to get onto the list.

Not the quick way to money, but it ensures a good relationship with the people on your list and long lasting value.

HTH, Jochen
    http://www.automatem.co.nz
    Websites, On-line Software and everything Internet
    Follow on Twitter | Connect on LinkedIn | Read on Posterous

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two issues. One, how is the list used currently? How up-to-date is it? I remember reading somewhere that an average email list churn rate is 30% per year, i.e. one third of emails becomes undeliverable in a year.

That aside, consider hiring a mailing list broker. They will likely charge a hefty fee, but you will be earning a recurring revenue and they will take care of finding and managing the clients.

http://www.google.com/search?q=email%20list%20broker