SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Is this wrong?

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly, I'm not planning on doing this for my site www.webmasterswork.com (just thought i'd clear that up).

If you plan on designing a site is it wrong to use free templates available on the web?

If you dont think so, do you know of any good sites that have professional looking templates. Maybe it's just me, but I dont think that any of the ones at www.freewebtemplates.com are that professional looking.

Regards,

------------------
    Soon to come,
    webmasterswork.com

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say its wrong to use a free template. But it is definitely unprofessional. If you're selling yourself as a professional web designer to someone and then use a template someone else did you'd be lying to them. Make it from scratch or base it off your earlier work.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it would depend on what you are selling them?

I've been working on putting together a business model that will offer a price range of under $500. These sites will be built on templates including FrontPage templates that come out of the box. There are many clients and potential clients out there that you would be hard pressed to convince that they need to spend an extra $500 to $2500 just to have little buttons and icons that no one else has.

What about JavaScripts or other add-ons?

IMHO,
    Westmich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me fist comment on selling yourself as a professional designer while using templates. There is not a chance on earth that I would look at you as a professional designer if all you do is use pre-made templates for more than one client.

Basically, the client is paying you to download a template (or use a previous client's) and add his/her name and content to the site. That is NOT design, that is cheap (and VERY unprofessional) reproduction.

I have a very strong opinion on this subject as you probably can tell, but there are ways to use templates for customers that can be profitable while keeping the professionalism involved. Curious? Let me share with you what I am doing.

I am working on a set of 20 or so templates for about 3 or 4 different categories. How I will use them is this:

1. The first set of 20 templates will be a "personal site" section. Basically, the person will choose a template, fill out a form, and I will add the requested text to the template after copy editing for spelling and grammar errors.

2. I will then either email or snail mail the one page site to them on a disk. All they have to do is upload the files to a host and presto, they have a web site.

This service will cost them around $20-$30 - more if they want me to upload the site or want other features added in etc.

Now, to not contradict what I mentioned earlier, I am going to make it blatantly obvious that my templates are templates and that they are not uniquely made for each "one-page web site" client.

Also, this is not the only thing I will be doing - it is kind of a sideshow of my professional design services. This not only makes me a quick buck or two for a little bit of my time, but also retains my professionalism.

As for the other categories I will have a "online business card" "online resumés" and possibly a few others.

To sum it up: A simple way to stay professional while making a quick buck.

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Isaiah Walter - Founder and Owner
    Federation Fire - Internet Solutions
    Isaiahacs@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Isaiah (edited May 09, 2000).]

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you guys use to make these templates with?

Im having a hell of a time trying to figure out htis photoshop. It ends up making layer after layer to the point where i get lost heh. Sure, you may be thinking "god what a newbie"... well, i am!!! =)