User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PHP is Doomed!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy devbanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think PHP is going anywhere. It's one of the few languages that were actually made for the web. Perl, Ruby, Python, etc, can work on the web with a framework or some specialized modules, but PHP was originally made for the web. Thus, PHP is going to have an advantage in this area and will continue to provide what developers need for developing for the web.

I think that in future PHP versions, it might lose some of its appeal to new programmers, especially with its new "advanced" features, with object orientation. But even so, I think it might gain some ground in enterprise development, hopefully.

I'd rather it be used for larger-scale projects than be easy for novices to quickly learn it to make personal web sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by navajes123
    Whenever i open any job site, i note that there are very few openings for PHP in some of the top companies like microsoft, infosys, mastek ....all these companies hardly must be using PHP then....because most of the openings are in J2EE or .NET, isn't this a clear sign that PHP is dieing?....i hope not....
    No, PHP will do very well in the future. These three companies will probably never use PHP. Microsoft owns ASP, a scripting language comparable to PHP. The other two companies use ASP as well.

Why PHP is going to do well in the future:
    • PHP is open-source (ie FREE!), ASP is not.
    • Perl is made to do about anything and not specialized for the web. PHP is designed for the web.
    • Just do any browsing on the web and you'll see PHP pages. It's incredibly popular and has a foothold with webmasters.
    • Awesome built-in functions. Coding is extremely simple.
    • Good online manual.

There went my two cents!
    -Stephen

Get a LitlURL to this page!

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    guys check this out....

http://www.dedasys.com/articles/lang...opularity.html

So what i feel personally is that if u want to make it to some of the top IT companies, its better u dont choose t work in php....php is used only in small companies.....to get into bigger companies try getting experience in j2ee or .net
    PHP is being used by more and more large companies. Heck, Yahoo uses it. Java, on the other hand, is starting to lose ground and .net will never have a firm grasp thanks to only running on MS software.

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PHP should for all intensive purposes be dead already. Before all this Ruby/Rails stuff, there was Python.

Python is as fast or more so then PHP.
    Python is as easy to setup.
    Python has better OO support.
    Python has as many mature libraries and frameworks.

It seems Python had every advantage PHP has over .NET and Java. Yet, why then didn't Python kill PHP?
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The New Guy
    It seems Python had every advantage PHP has over .NET and Java. Yet, why then didn't Python kill PHP?
    Yeah, I know why. They forgot to implement braces { }

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    OK heres a question for all of you then..
    PHP is a superb language with flexibility etc so why is it that all the jobs I have looked at recently have demanded ASP and in one case I didnt get the job BECAUSE I only knew a little ASP?

Why is it that companies are blind to PHP to a degree?

(might start a thread about it!)

Spike
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    We were due for another ignorant article like this to be published. Glad they got this out of the way.
    Exactly, everyone is writing these type articles to start controversy and get on ****.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ
    OK heres a question for all of you then..
    PHP is a superb language with flexibility etc so why is it that all the jobs I have looked at recently have demanded ASP and in one case I didnt get the job BECAUSE I only knew a little ASP?

I don't know. It depends on company. Some are reluctant to PHP because... because I don't know why... I don't want to guess. In my country it is fairly easy to get PHP Dev job. ASP is popular ... but somehow, most job postings concern PHP. Don't know why. Maybe try applying for job elsewhere.

PHP is not superb. It is one of many languages.

My suspiscions are:
    Employers/companies are reluctant to PHP because of script kiddies... self proclaimed "experts" in PHP ... because it is so easy to make simple web site with PHP. They don't want the risk, or they already learned they lesson. Who knows.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    might have to move to Poland then

Sites can be built just as easily and quickly in ASP as they can in PHP if the programmer is reasonably proficient....
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Keep it simple, stupid! bokehman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most of your reactions are as they are because you are PHP groupies. The main issue this article raised is fact. PHP is a single thread language and that is a major short coming. This issue is not addressed in any projected update. Being a single thread langage means it is not able to examine itself and abort threads while they are running. This also means it can get stuck in loops etc. without the possibilty of code to correct these type of problems. If anyone can't see the advantages of multi-threading they should think about giving up programming.

The Restaurant at The End of The Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bokehman
    I think most of your reactions are as they are because you are PHP groupies. T
    And the author is a JAVA groupie. Same old tired story.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what i feel personally is that if u want to make it to some of the top IT companies, its better u dont choose t work in php....php is used only in small companies.....to get into bigger companies try getting experience in j2ee or .net
    What percentage of people who learn php or any programming language do so in order it to get a job working at a "top" IT company?

How many:
    * are freelancers
    * are looking to establish their own web development company
    * are maintaining their own site(s)
    * own or work for a Small Business

Do the vast majority of websites and businesses use enterprise level code? For those that don't use it, do they even need it? If not, then I fail to see the long-term purpose of the article and goal of the author.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pkSML
    No, PHP will do very well in the future. These three companies will probably never use PHP. Microsoft owns ASP, a scripting language comparable to PHP. The other two companies use ASP as well.

Why PHP is going to do well in the future:
    • PHP is open-source (ie FREE!), ASP is not.
    • Perl is made to do about anything and not specialized for the web. PHP is designed for the web.
    • Just do any browsing on the web and you'll see PHP pages. It's incredibly popular and has a foothold with webmasters.
    • Awesome built-in functions. Coding is extremely simple.
    • Good online manual.

There went my two cents!
    Ok, I have to disagree on some of your points.
    ASP is free...it comes right on the Windows OS. And then, just because something is everywhere doesn't mean it won't be anywhere tomorrow! Things change quick.

As for the language that will die, it'll most likely be J2EE -- not popular enough, and not cross platform.

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    As for the language that will die, it'll most likely be J2EE -- not popular enough, and not cross platform.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ

(might start a thread about it!)

Spike
    I have my theory, I said it in my last post. It may be that they want to have an insurance, someone to blame in case of emergency.
    Saul

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon
    I have my theory, I said it in my last post. It may be that they want to have an insurance, someone to blame in case of emergency.
    Ever heard of zend.com?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jarek.rozanski
    Ever heard of zend.com?
    So what? Zend's not responsible for PHP's performance, it's open source, nobody is.
    Saul

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a little more subtle than that. Ultimately, any management are responsible for their own choices. If they choose ASP, and stuff goes wrong, it won't save them to point their fingers at Microsoft.
    On the other hand, to some degree, open source is percieved as a wild horse. If something goes wrong, it would be an additional thing to explain to the bosses. In companies where the management are afraid of being blamed for mistakes, they will try to cover their back. And not choosing open source is one way to do so.
    Ask yourself though, which company you'd rather work for ?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't think it would die anytime soon. I started learning php about 2 - 3 years ago and it was only because I had heard that it was rather a new language out and it was the quickest most popular growing programming language at that time.

Many sites use php. Php is simple to use and is very powerful if you use it right.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy devbanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john278
    I wouldn't think it would die anytime soon. I started learning php about 2 - 3 years ago and it was only because I had heard that it was rather a new language out and it was the quickest most popular growing programming language at that time.

Many sites use php. Php is simple to use and is very powerful if you use it right.
    Agreed, except for one point. Even 2-3 years ago, it wasn't new. It probably has a good 10-11 years now.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't really mean that it was a new language, but it was one of the newest of the languages at the time. But that could have been a load of garbage I had read at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by devbanana
    Agreed, except for one point. Even 2-3 years ago, it wasn't new. It probably has a good 10-11 years now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyberfabrikken
    I think it's a little more subtle than that. Ultimately, any management are responsible for their own choices. If they choose ASP, and stuff goes wrong, it won't save them to point their fingers at Microsoft.
    On the other hand, to some degree, open source is percieved as a wild horse. If something goes wrong, it would be an additional thing to explain to the bosses. In companies where the management are afraid of being blamed for mistakes, they will try to cover their back. And not choosing open source is one way to do so.
    Ask yourself though, which company you'd rather work for ?
    That's exactly what I mean. Choose open source - blame yourself, choose a product of respected company - blame them. It's not that straight forward in reality, but the idea is the same.
    Saul

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what? Zend's not responsible for PHP's performance, it's open source, nobody is.
    So what?!

Go, buy Zend Core (which is PHP with extensions and support) and blame Zend if something goes wrong.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jarek.rozanski
    So what?!

Go, buy Zend Core (which is PHP with extensions and support) and blame Zend if something goes wrong.
    Open source is open source. They can blame PHP just as you blame them and disclaim responsibility for it. The point is that there's no support at the lowest level, that's what just might be a concern of the big companies.

You know how all these big companies work. A pure bureaucracy. Everything should be contracted and documented. Sure they can sign a contract with Zend for Zend Core, but who will be to sign a contract for PHP?
    Saul

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

I've only been using PHP for about a month. Already, I've implemented it on my web-site, which processes forms, and sends out emails, etc. I think PHP has been a revelation to me and I'm glad I decided to use it. It is easily understood (most of the time) - bearing in mind I'm a newcomer plus I'm not a web developer by trade, the fact that I have picked bits up already about PHP is testament in itself.

I'm also learning ASP.net - I wish implementing it and using it would be as easy!

Regards,

Ash (UK)