Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PHP is Doomed!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP is Doomed!

Did any of you all see this article? What do you think? Is PHP doomed?

http://content.techrepublic.com.com/...335&id=2926438

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is doomed... why?
    PHP4, PHP5.0.x, PHP5.1.x and PHP6 soon ... big pile with lack of backward compatibility.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so is every other form of technology.. it's only a matter of time before _everything_ you use today will be obsolete.

Reaction to article: "Meh, another captain obvious."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sick of listening to all the wining about PHP backwards compatibility issues spelling the language's demise. I hear a lot of lip service to this issue but has PHP's popularity waned because of them? I don't think so. If you think it has I'd love to see some statistics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It won't die as long as me and many other developers are using it everyday to publish hundreds of websites
    It's fast, reliable and portable
    I know html,css,javascript,sql,ajax and php, and out of them all, PHP is the only one that completely satisfies me, and it's still better than ASP,coldfusion etc
    so NO it's not doomed at all :P

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We were due for another ignorant article like this to be published. Glad they got this out of the way.

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    We were due for another ignorant article like this to be published. Glad they got this out of the way.
    My thoughts exactly... How much longer till the next one? 3 months?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think, as a language it will continue being used. At least, in the nearest future.

The thing that IMHO is going to be changed is its runtime engine. Right now almost every interpreted language has its own runtime engine, what slows things down and adds an extra overhead. So having a single runtime engine for many languages would give many extra benefits, such as better interoperability between different languages.

Right now, it seems that there are two projects that can do the job: Mono/.NET and Parrot. Main benefit of Mono is that it's not only a virtual machine, but also a framework (that means some standartised library and functionality), and the drawback (read: drawback in case of PHP) is its being statically typed.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

correction

Quote Originally Posted by coffee_ninja
    I'm sick of listening to all the wining about PHP backwards compatibility issues spelling the language's demise. I hear a lot of lip service to this issue but has PHP's popularity waned because of them? I don't think so. If you think it has I'd love to see some statistics.
    Ok, I might have put it wrong. I mean it won't disappear since PHP install base is enormous and therefore it is the most useable platform available. However upcoming releases, not being backward compatible will cause problems to accumulate and one day (maybe not so far in the future), PHP popularity will start to decline and this will be its end.

Back to the article: no, I don't think that multithreading (or its lack) is going to kill PHP.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartmann
    My thoughts exactly... How much longer till the next one? 3 months?
    optimistic!

PHP wont go anywhere, sure there are things that it cant do YET. Who knows what PHP6/PHP7 are going to bring. RUBY is touted as another bite out of the PHP fanbase but only time will tell really.
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jarek.rozanski
    Ok, I might have put it wrong. I mean it won't disappear since PHP install base is enormous and therefore it is the most useable platform available. However upcoming releases, not being backward compatible will cause problems to accumulate and one day (maybe not so far in the future), PHP popularity will start to decline and this will be its end.
    I think my original post had a more abrasrive tone that I intended. Sorry about that

I look at the BC issues that PHP has and say to myself: "Well, did Java die because they decided to put Generics in Java 1.5?" No. People updated their JRE/JDK and life went on. I know its not the same, but I'm happy to fix some code to appease a more stable/more robust interpreter. I suppose its a bigger issue for people making software which runs on a shared host where they can't upgrade the PHP version.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    php owns all - the end

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will have to pry php from my cold dead hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do people use php? Is it really that good. I looked at the code and It seems weird. Don't know why. Just curious.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember, Perl and CGI used to own the Web development space entirely; now Perl barely exists in Web development outside of legacy applications. Things change, and PHP needs to change quickly, or it will follow Perl.
    That's true guys. I'm worry about Ruby will take over php like php did to Perl.
    www.eCardMAX.com
    E-cards are a fun and interactive way
    to entice repeat visitors to a site,
    Visit us for more in detail

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardgnt
    Why do people use php? Is it really that good. I looked at the code and It seems weird. Don't know why. Just curious.
    It works.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eCardMAX.com
    That's true guys. I'm worry about Ruby will take over php like php did to Perl.
    Perl wasn't really designed for the web and PHP was. That's why PHP became so popular. Perl also hasn't been updated in a looooooooooooooooooong time.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    PHP will continue to grow and grow and maybe so will Ruby but it has a long way to go yet.
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can kill it, but it's already started - others will come.
    Saul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ruby is too difficult for the beginner to pick up and start using in a day. PHP is popular because you can cut and paste a script and be off and running in a few minutes.

Just look at the forums, PHP consistently has the most users .... ALL THE TIME ... does that sound like something that is about to die to you?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Well, hope it does not die

Well friends, i have read all the articles critically and with a cool head, i have not yet made my opinion on this...to be very frank.....i hope PHP comes up with a new version with a bang......
    But i am curious to know the reason behind a very peculiar thing i have noticed these days....Whenever i open any job site, i note that there are very few openings for PHP in some of the top companies like microsoft, infosys, mastek ....all these companies hardly must be using PHP then....because most of the openings are in J2EE or .NET, isn't this a clear sign that PHP is dieing?....i hope not....

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by navajes123
    i note that there are very few openings for PHP in some of the top companies like microsoft
    Why would there be any requirement to use PHP at Microsoft?

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by navajes123
    Well friends, i have read all the articles critically and with a cool head, i have not yet made my opinion on this...to be very frank.....i hope PHP comes up with a new version with a bang......
    But i am curious to know the reason behind a very peculiar thing i have noticed these days....Whenever i open any job site, i note that there are very few openings for PHP in some of the top companies like microsoft, infosys, mastek ....all these companies hardly must be using PHP then....because most of the openings are in J2EE or .NET, isn't this a clear sign that PHP is dieing?....i hope not....
    Yet again go to any freelance site to see that it is the opposite there. That only means the market is big enough for everyone.

Besides, big companies tend not to use open source just because in case of failure there will be no one to blame. .NET fails - sue Microsoft, J2EE fails - sue Sun, and so on. But there's no one to blame in case of PHP failure, because it's open source, there's no company responsible.

Just my random thought.
    Saul

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would PHP die? Ruby is far too confusing downloading it then opening it up and coding it, I just don't understand it. PHP is simple, and effective. It's easy to read for example with the database INSERT INTO, it's fairly obvious what it means. Beginnerrs can copy and paste scripts with just chaning config files etc. PHP will not die... Yet. It may die within the next few years unless something big happens. Ruby may take over, but takes a lot more learning so it isn't efficent for the on-the-go developers.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb good news for php geeks

guys check this out....

http://www.dedasys.com/articles/lang...opularity.html

So what i feel personally is that if u want to make it to some of the top IT companies, its better u dont choose t work in php....php is used only in small companies.....to get into bigger companies try getting experience in j2ee or .net