SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

The I's for intelligent silver trophy iTechno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you insert flash validally into a document?

How do you insert flash validally into a document? Heres my flash:

HTML Code:
    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0" width="717" height="106">
      <param name="movie" value="saintsrow/header/header.swf" />
      <param name="quality" value="high" />
      <embed src="saintsrow/header/header.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="717" height="108"></embed>
    </object>

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

.* draziW tnioPetiS *. bronze trophy
    "Then I figure the most good good guy will win."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to gander at SWFobject... I would say that is the best option available (at the moment) if you do not mind a tiny bit more JS overhead. I just started using - I love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="flash/header5.swf" width="655" height="110" >
    <param name="movie" value="flash/header5.swf" />
    </object>

Works great and validates. I must be missing something about how hard this is to accomplish??
    Web Design, Marketing, Etc .............

.* draziW tnioPetiS *. bronze trophy
    "Then I figure the most good good guy will win."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwzemens
    Works great and validates. I must be missing something about how hard this is to accomplish??
    I have noticed problems with that setup when using it in the past...

I still highly suggest the SWFobject (formerly called FlashObject)... once you get the inital setup (external JS script), everything else is a breeeze.

THis is an interesting read

Flash Satay objects are not properly read by JAWS, rendering the content inaccessible to screen reader users. The satay method is good in every way analyzed in this study, but unfortunately JAWS ignores Flash embedded in this way. The data exists in MSAA, as shown in MSAA inspection tools and by Window-Eyes reading the content correctly.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is why you take advantage of the <object> element's inherent ability to nest other objects (alternate content). Yeesh.

The only problem that does not have an easy solution is the lack of the object's ability to determine which version of the Flash plugin the user has installed, since the codec was removed from the element in the Satay.

The article recommends putting a small Flash file with the codec included at the top of those pages that have Flash files in them, but most people seem to ignore that and assume they just mean "on the home page only" instead.

I'm currently working on a way to improve the Satay method to solve this problem once and for all. I like the Satay overall, but cannot stand the lack of cross-browser plugin detection that the Satay method has at present.