SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much does it cost to make a website for a Furniture place. The site is www.puebloviejoimports.com. Can someone tell me what the average cost for a website costs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello cortiz

Your question is fairly difficult to answer without knowing exactly what you require.

The following are some things you will need to consider providing a designer in order to obtain an appropriate quote.

1) What do you want the site to do: is it to sell, provide a web presence, position the company as technologically advanced, generate sales leads, etc.

2) Who is going to write the copy for the site?

3) Who is going to provide the graphics?

4) Who is your target market - what sort of browsers do they use, how do they usually find web sites, what are the influences on choice when they buy, how well can they navigate around the site?

5) What information do you want to obtain from your market?

6) How will you be marketing the site - opt in lists, search engines, offline strategies, etc?

7) Who will be updating the site?

8) Who will be doing the researching about what your clients want?

9) Does the site need to be cutting edge?

10) What exactly do you want it to look like and do?

As an example you will get quotes from designers for $50 a page. Maybe even less. If I was doing the page we do everything to ensure it is the best possible page for the budget you have.

And I'll let you on in a little secret......I have no idea whatsoever how to do your web site. Neither do any designers here. And, I hate to say it, neither do you, or the owners of the business. The only people who can tell you how to design your web site are your customers.

I'll give you some general examples from my past experience and I'll use your current Home Page as the example. I can do this the nice, gentle way or I can do this the blunt way. I'm an Australian so I'll do it the blunt way!

Your Home Page....could be a little better.

Visitors don't trust your site if you have spelling errors....'crafted' is spelt wrong and 'newsletter' is one word, not two.

The animations would drive people crazy. You don't need the e-mail animation down the bottom of the screen. There's already enough ways to contact you.

Dump the 'Free DSL' link down the bottom. It just serves to make you look like you are cheap. Not my perception, that's what our research shows.

Very few will fill in your e-mail form. No-one wants to give you their address and you will be lucky to get one response without a 'Privacy Commitment' statement. Remove the 'RESET' button. Our research shows that no-one ever uses it. People will alter the form rather than hit 'RESET'. In all our research we have never found anyone who has used the reset button.

Remove the visitor counter. It serves only negative purposes. If you have a huge number the visitors start to think a) I'm one of thousands - they have probably altered the figures to look successful, b) I'm the competition and I had better get a Web Site to compete with these guys. If you have very few visitors then people assume it's a poor site.

"If you have any questions or having trouble with our website please contact
    Carlos or call us at the number above for more information. Thank You." Remove that bit. You've just told me you expect to have trouble with the site, which tells me you don't know what you are doing, which tells me you aren't safe to buy from.

All of your copy is poor. I don't care about you being a young company (in fact that's a minus - people prefer to deal with well established companies) and I couldn't care less about your 'vision'. What's in it for me??? That's what I want to know. I want to know about how great the furniture will look, what great value for money it is and how it will make my life easier and more comfortable.

So, I guess that's another question. Can your designer tell you all that sort of stuff? Anyone can design a site, it's getting the site to achieve what you want to do that is the tricky bit.

If you find one that does all that I'm sure they'll charge more than $50 per page.

Hope this helps cortiz. The criticism of the site is, of course, meant to assist you develop the site as best you can and is given in the very best of faith. If you would like a copy of our assessment pages we ask clients when we provide a quote please let me know and I'll send them through via e-mail.

All the best.

Regards

Jackman

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the feedback. I agree with you and I'm considering on alot on what you said.

I just wanted to know for example how much did a site that you did similiar to one that I'm talking about cost. Just give me some numbers that would help.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply cortiz

There are many variables in the assessment for a quote but I'll give it a go based on a few assumptions.

I don't want to do the site cortiz, this is just an example.

Let's assume a 10 page site that is to sell your products. We will have several e-mail forms around the site, a competition held monthly to encourage return visitors, we write all the copy, you provide graphics.

A shopping cart system will allow secure purchase of your products over the Internet. We will enter 10 products into the cart ready for sale and provide 3 hours training for you to ensure you can also complete this task.

All e-mail submitted to the site will receive an auto-response e-mail.

There will be printable voucher, visitors can join a Loyalty Club and the site will be designed to load very quickly (Home Page will be under 9.5 seconds on a 56K modem).

Aside from our close consultation with you to ensure the cart meets your exact needs, we use a focus group to test the appropriateness of your site at each stage of development, useability testing is conducted on the site frequently and the site is fully uploaded to the server and tested to ensure everything works smoothly.

We will write a 'Privacy Commitment' and 'Security Commitment' to place at strategic locations on the site. You will provide signed testimonials from happy customers (we will tell you exactly what we need them to say).

The site will be designed by one of Australia's leading and award winning designers. The copy will be written by a professional copywriter and the site will be reviewed by a security expert to assure its ability to repel hackers. The site development will be completely overseen by a leading Internet Marketer.

You will receive a 20 page manual on how best to market the site (after research is completed of the target market), you will receive a burnt CD-ROM of the site so that it can never be lost and we will make recommendations for a period of one month after the site is launched regarding changes to meet the needs of your market. These recommendations will be based on close analyse of the site traffic.

We guarantee 100% the quality of our work. The only person who decides if the site is apprrporiate for you is you. If you don't feel it is approrpiate then simply do not pay the invoice.

The investment for a 10 page, interactive quality site designed by leading designers as described above is $6,445.

Now cortiz, that is about what we would charge. Sometimes more, sometimes less. We do 1 page for about $320. If you want forms it's extra, Flash is more again, us doing the graphics is more again.

As I've said before, there are people who will read this and think "Okay, 10 page site. Simple. $800."

My advice is this. Decide exactly what you want the site to do, ask your customers exactly what they want the site to have, decide how big you want it: then take all that to 3 or 4 designers and get quotes.

Good luck cortiz

Regards

Jackman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the address to your company jackman?

------------------
    Nate
    nate@jumpthru.com
    ICQ 70944023
    http://www.jumpthru.com - Free web hosting.
    http://www.webmaster-sources.com - Build your site today!
    http://www.funandfreestuff.com - Because life was meant to be free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your interest Nate.

My designer and I have been working together for a year now and we use his site as the example. We are just about to form a new company which integrates us together even more and will launch the combined site.
    www.original.com.au/web

Regards

Jackman