User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question DTD Doctype Question for Professional HTML Handcoders

Those who code html strictly by hand,
    1. how do you determine your Doctype?
    2. do you consistently place the Doctype at the beginning of every page?
    3. do you use this site http://validator.w3.org/ to validate your code before publishing?

Thanks to all who reply. I'm trying to cleanup my act

Dave
    "Three components make an entrepreneur:
    the person, the idea, and the resources to make it happen."
    Anita Roddick ~British entrepreneur
    dbr founder of: ProximityCast.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I don't put it there. I have Dreamweaver stick it there for me. I just tell it to make the page XHTML 1.0 strict and it sticks the doctype in there. And yes the validator web site is the bomb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on the content of the page. There's 2 sides to this one. First off is the XHTML side, which is where everyone will say "Use XHTML Strict". However, another side notes that IE can't accept application/xml or whatever the other mimetype for xhtml is. They generally recommend just standard "HTML 4.01 Transitional" or so.

Note that frames require a frameset DTD.

If you want your pages valid yes.

3. do you use this site http://validator.w3.org/ to validate your code before publishing?

Yes, though you can generally find plugins to automate the process. In the end though, they should validate through the w3.org site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1> X Strict when possible, but I'll switch to Tranny if something browser specific just doesn't work... (kinky...)

2> That's WHERE IT GOES, as Chris said, if you want your page to be VALID

3> Of course - I actually code for Opera first (though I usually have IE and FF open as well) which for me means a simple CTRL-ALT-V

That's right, Opera has a keyboard shortcut to send for validation BUILT IN... AND it sends the code it recieved from the server to them instead of the URL, meaning you can validate anything the browser can see (great for the differences between being logged into a site and not) and even local files.

But like most other things people use addons for in other browsers, Opera already has it... and usually had it first...

... and as I've said a couple times already 80% or so of the posts on the web page design forums could be avoided by simple validation. (and about 15% could be avoided by using simpler/more compatable code INSTEAD of browser specific conditionals and hacks)

bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I presume this thread is about text/html pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbr
    The renderingmode I want determinates the choice of doctype (or lack thereof). Mostly I want Full Standards mode, so <!doctype html> will do. If I want the page to pass DTD validation without doctype override I use the HTML 4.01 Strict doctype (usually without system id).
    Yes, otherwise you get Quirks mode.
    No, not always. When I do, I use the doctype override feature and validate against HTML 4.01 Strict.
    Simon Pieters

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually use XHTML 1.0 Strict, but, like deathshadow, I'll sometimes use XHTML 1.0 Transitional if I have to use a depreciated element or attribute (target usually being the culprit). I don't use frames, so frameset DOCTYPES are out of the question, and I'll only use HTML 4.01 if someone requires that I do so.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those who code html strictly by hand,

Thanks to all who reply. I'm trying to cleanup my act

Dave
    1. Good question. Many clients do not want HTML 1.0 strict for marketing reasons (or perhaps bandwagon thinking that XHTML is supposedly superior to HTML which it isn't as it's essentially the same, only not as clean as HTML since we have to use XHTML markup on a HTML document which serves little to no purpose). Another factor are third party applications (such as CMSes). If these use XHTML strict for, say their output in comments and other things and do not offer HTML equivalents, I'll resort to choosing the XHTML 1.0 strict doctype. Else, I'll use HTML strict 1.0. However, I always use a strict DTD without exception.

2. Yes. Unless I were to use real XML which I don't as IE does not support it.

3. Yep, I do.

Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do I need to use elements from other XML namespaces? Then use XHTML 1.0 Strict.
    Is the page intended for a general audience (read: must it work in IE)? Then use HTML 4.01 Strict.

Of course.

Yes.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane