SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aligning two sets of text in opposite directions

Okay this is really getting the best of me and I can't believe how stupidly difficult this is turning out to be. If any of you use GMail you'll notice that when you log in there are links at the top of the page linking to Mail, Calendar etc. Then on the right you will see another set of links "floated" right??? I don't know. Because when I try to do that I get the second set of links being pushed down no matter what I do.

In a table design it would so very very simple...two <td> tags one with right alignment. But this "easier" more "simple" way of doing it is anything but. Please for the life of me won't someone explain to me why I can't simply align a second set of links.

I would greatly appreciate it. Man do I feel like a complete idiot so please be nice...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man do I feel like a complete idiot so please be nice...
    No! I desagree. Floats are hard to play with. There a lot of 'stranges' behaviors with floated elements.

Play with the following code:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="pt-br">
    <head>
    <title>Página testes</title>
    <meta name="author" content="Mauricio Samy Silva" />
    <style type="text/css">
    #links {width:100%}
    p.side-1 {width:49.9%;float:left;}
    p.side-2 {width:49.9;float:right;}
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    <div id="links">
    <p class="side-1"><a href="#">[link1 - left]</a> <a href="#">[link2 - left]</a> <a href="#">[link3 - left]</a> <a href="#">[link4 - left]</a>
    <p class="side-2"><a href="#">[link1 - right]</a> <a href="#">[link2 - right]</a> <a href="#">[link3 - right]</a> <a href="#">[link4 - right]</a>
    </div>
    </div>
    </body>
    </html>
    But be aware! Any margins, paddings, etc added and floats suddenly appear to de alive . They love to jump.

On the code above set 50% for the width of .side-1 and .side-2 and IE that doesn't learn sum think that 50% + 50% != 100% ( This is the reason i had have set 49.9%). Always set widths for floats and their container.
    And there are others misterious bugs with floats.

Search on Google for articles explaining the floats issues and bugs.
    Hope that help.
    Mauricio Samy Silva
    http://www.maujor.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The common method is to float the first box to the left, and the second one to the right. Make sure you give the boxes less than 50% width, and even less if you use padding and margins (you must leave enough room for both boxes (width + padding + borders + margins) to be placed next to one another if you dont want the second one to drop bellow).

If you want that the container of those boxes encloses its child floats, you should float the container as well

edited: too slow

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

This couldn't be simpler and you only need to float the first item left and use text-align:right to position the second inline element.

e.g.

http://www.pmob.co.uk/temp/leftandright.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio
    Always set widths for floats
    This is not necessary anymore unless you want to support older browers such as ie5 mac. Floats will shrinkwrap their content in the same way that absolute elements do and is very useful in certain situations. However floats without widths will expand to 100% should their content dictate and take up the whole line. Widthless floats are ideal for short amounts of variable length text (or images).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone...I appreciate the help.