SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Celebrate <Div> Times Come On!

I wanted to create this topic for us pointers to show off our table-less designs. There have been some really great ones posted here lately and I want to see more!

For starters this is my new creation: http://www.enraged-creations.com/spider. Just a toy on the side to play with. Works better in Netscape 6.0+ than IE 6.0. Isn't that cute?

If you have any ideas on what I should do to improve the site, post away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, that looks pretty good! I am in the process of designing a site for a client that'll rely entirely CSS for its formatting. I'll be sure to add it here when it's done. This is a good idea.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also in the midst of developing a table-less site and will post it here as soon as I can.

I saw your earlier topic about table-less design and fully agree with you. I have been completely inspired by this article at A List Apart. That article, indeed the whole site, overturned everything I believed in about tables. I used to sound much like those who disagreed with you in that topic.

I think that what people who are so married to their table-based layouts are missing is that CSS is not just about improving control over layout and formatting, or about facilitating site updating. Control in web design is a slippery thing anyway, dependent as it is on browser support. And maybe they don't mind doing a search-and-replace on a thousand FONT tags.

But ultimately, CSS isn't just for making OUR jobs easier. It's for making our pages accessible. I want to see all the table-based sites in a few years when more people are surfing on PDAs and cell-phones. I want to have a blind person tell me I have a cool site.

And if that's not incentive, I want to see where table-less sites rank in search engines, because you can have your main content start right after the BODY tag, even if on the page it's in the lower right, below all the menus and images and whatever. No more tiring out the bots with 4 nested tables before the actual content begins.

Anyway, sorry for stumbling onto the soapbox. Your page looks good and I hope to see many others here.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CSS:s are wonderful. Check this out for further inspiration:

http://glish.com/hiatus.asp
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got three more table-less sites that I'm working on.

http://www.dndcommunitycouncil.org/new/test.asp
    **I just realized that I have some errors in the page, but the idea should still be viewable.**

This one is done for a organization that produces unique free material online. It's DND material, and I've stopped playing, but they let me experiment as much as I want on their webpage.

The hosting for the page is bad so if you get a ASP runtime error it's normal.

I plan to include support for all media types in this page. Including Voice and Wireless devices. CSS is great!

Bots and Spiders love table-less design. But I haven't tested whether a page will rank better with a table-less design vs. tables. Maybe that's a good topic for a future article or at least a forum thread.