User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of problem is that ?????

Could you plese have a look at http://m-ap.com/Pembridge-Square.html

I haven't come accross this before: In different browser it displays it displays differently- some as it should and in some it doesn't.

Somehow I suspect that it has something to do with character encoding, but I can't be sure. In FF it changes when I switch from Unicode UTF-16 Big Endian to Western (iso-8859-1).

The page should really display just the same way as http://m-ap.com/Pembridge-Square.html does, for example, instead it either displays as if it is not linked to the style sheets or it displays the code starting 2 weird characters:

Code:
     <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    or

Code:
    <thorn> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"

In some browsers (e.g. Safari) it's ok. What's going on!?

Thanks for any ideas!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing view source tells me is that your file is corrupt. Beyond that, we would have to see the local source file to be able to provide a helpful hand.
    Ryan Butler

Midwest Web Design

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What character encoding are you using, and what character encoding is being sent by the server?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem, my site Sports Chatter also has the same type of problem. My site loads up fine with the tables set how i want them in mozilla. When i use the browser IE, its all messed up. Anyway to fix this?

SitePoint Evangelist Ed Seedhouse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njrocket
    I have the same problem, my site Sports Chatter also has the same type of problem. My site loads up fine with the tables set how i want them in mozilla. When i use the browser IE, its all messed up. Anyway to fix this?
    You don't have a hope of getting it fixed until you get your xhtml validated. You have more than 100 errors in your page! It's amazing any browser can display it at all.
    Ed Seedhouse

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Bom

The characters
    are the Byte Order Mark (BOM) they instruct the browser that the file is UTF-16BE (big endian)
    From http://www.geocities.com/pmpg98_pt/C...rEncoding.html (citing w3c)
    1. If there is a BOM, then this defines the file encoding.
    2. If there isn't then look at the Encoding Declaration.
    3. If none of the above meet then assume UTF-8.
    My guess is that not all browsers can deal with UTF-16BE Is there a reason you're using it? Do you have to? What are you creating the file with? There is most likely a way to determine what encoding the file is created in with whatever you are using.

@njrocket
    You do not have the "same" problem. The page is using the DOCTYPE XHTML 1.0 Strict, but it is not (uses deprecated font tags for 1 thing). This could be part of the problem, which is mark-up and/or CSS related, and not an encoding issue. You should be able to fix it by doing as Ed Seedhouse suggested and getting it to first pass the validator.