SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where does everyone get their graphics that you use on your clients pages?????

I know there are a gazillion sites out there that offer free graphics for personal, non commercial sites, but what about for web designers on our clients sites? All the "fine print" is ruling out all sites I have looked at!

And what about using the graphics from programs such as Print Master? Could I use those on client web sites??
    Help!!!

Dolly

------------------
    dolllee@pressenter.com http://www.geocities.com/dolly_lee

[This message has been edited by dlee (edited May 05, 2000).]

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most commercial graphics are paid for. I don't know about the graphics that come with Print Master, you would have to read the license agreement. If you own a Microsoft Program like FrontPage or MS-Word you can go to Their clipart gallery and get graphics there. It is located at http://cgl.microsoft.com/clipgallerylive/default.asp
    You can find other sites that offer royalty free graphics you can use if you look.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    SitePoint Moderator
    ICQ 29015947

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do we get our graphics? Interesting question.

If a person wants to call himself a real, professional Internet designer, he will either do one of two things. He will make the graphics himself, or hire another professional graphic designer to do it for him.

People can tell when you have put together a web site using graphics from a "freebie" site or a Frontpage template. They don't always flow with the rest of the site and they don't look very professional.

If you are smart, you will drop the idea of using clip art or other free graphic methods for designing and learn how to design them yourself or hire someone else to do it.

Please don't go around selling yourself if, in reality, you don't even care about the quality of your client's web site. I am not saying that you don't care or should drop web site design completely. Web design is a wonderful and exciting hobby, night job, or career. Just don't try to take shotcuts, they will hurt you in the long run - lower levels of client confidence, fewer sales, etc.

Perhaps you are still learning, in that case, ignore what I have just said, use whatever legal means possible to learn more about this niche in the job world. But don't start charging for your services just yet, wait until you can conference with another professional designer and see if he/she thinks you are ready to start your own web design company, or if you still need more practice.

If you need help in your quest of bettering yourself in this area of the Internet, just ask. Everyone in these forums is here for you and is ready to help, beginner or professional.

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Isaiah Walter
    Founder and Owner
    ------------------
    Federation Fire - Internet Solutions
    Professional Internet design for non-professional prices™

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creating nice graphics doesn't need to be hard. But rather it can be simple.

Let me tell you how I do it.

For buttons just plain old paint and create a button, square, circular, or rounded, whichever you like. Pick a color, doesn't have to be fancy, and make it very big, I mean half as big as a banner ad.

Then save this simple image and open it up in photoshop, use the magic wand tool to select just the button, no white space. Cut and paste it to a new template. Bevel and emboss, here you can choose your preference, but it makes your image look polished either way, I usually emboss it. Then add text, choose a font and type it on, then emboss the text. Flatten the image and then resize it to your desired size, or resize it then flatten it, the order changes the outcome. And you have a pretty little button. Also be sure it optimize it for file size.

An example of what I just explained is found at:
    http://benningnt.bch.msu.edu

the buttons for this site I did in this manner but I made 2 copies, one with the text pillow embossed for the ONMOUSEOVER function and the other is embossed for the popped out look, so it looks like the cursor pushes the button in.

As far as titles go you can simply Pick a font and a color, and emboss it in photoshop, it'll look decent enough. Or make it from scratch. Look at the site point title. Its a reddish circle with an orange circle over it, a few squares, and text. All of that can be done in plain old paint and then you could pretty it up, blending and all, with photoshop.

Look at shakespeare.literature-web.net I made the title there by simply creating a purple bar in paint, I brought it over to photoshop and embossed it. Then I layed down the orange text and a picture of shakespeare and voila. If you make embossed text in photoshop, and just ad a simply little icon like sitepoints circle and arrow you're in business. You can also then use an icon maker to make the icon part an actually icon and use it for IE's favicon feature.

By far I think every web designer needs photoshop, unfortunately its very expensive. But its an amazing program, if you've never used it you should definitely learn how to use it. Its a matter of minutes to create quality graphics with it even if you're like me, hardly able to draw a stick figure.

Chris

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Fellow,

I'm fairly new at Web Site Designs, recently started a new biz and have a few customers! I've been doing HTML now for almost two years...! Good advice above.....I suggest, youdo your own site and a few free sites for friends.....get practice, do your own thing! If you use free scripts and graphics, use them properly and give proper credit to the creator!

For a great program to help with graphics...check out NetStudio...at www.netstudio.com they have assembled a great net graphic program for the web designer....it makes really great looking banners, buttons etc! I recommend it highly....and its very affordable...at 90 bucks US! Has many templates and tutorials included!

I made a few really nice banners in less than 15 minutes.... it supports emboss, shadow, blur, fade edges...etc!

Also, they have a neat Web Graphic service too...which sells graphics on line....for 3 bucks a graphic....and/or 5 for 16 bucks...not bad all professionally done!

Check out NetStudio.....its a really good program...IMHO!

RKip

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also try ZYcom Graphics for text headers and buttons that can be customized by color and font, can create drop shadows and more. Creates great headers and buttons. Even has a (2) link buttons than can be used as mouse-over.

*also free web pages but you only have to sign up for the graphics.

Free but you can also upgrade for more graphic choices.

------------------
    WebKat's PawPrints
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would someone pay $16 bucks for 5 graphics when they can just get 5 graphics at the normal $3 dollar per graphic rate? Blah, I am tired, maybe I am doing the math wrong! :P Later guys.

------------------
    Nate
    nate@jumpthru.com
    ICQ 70944023
    http://www.jumpthru.com - Free web hosting.
    http://www.webmaster-sources.com - Build your site today!
    http://www.funandfreestuff.com - Because life was meant to be free.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm not a professional or anything, but I like to design my own gfx. I do have problems getting backgrounds though....

http://arpith.com/
    I made that pic after getting a croc's eye, and 2 guys looking down into the camera... It was hard finding those two pics (hey, how many good closeup pics of the eye can you get ??? I tried eye/eye closeup/retina/pupil/whatever; finding those 2 guys were even harder...). Anyway after hours of searching, I got them from corbis.com. Ofcourse, to use them, you have to pay some cash.

Are there any alternatives to that ? :-) Any other image sites similar to corbis ?

Arpith

------------------
    <A HREF="http://www.arpith.com/
    " TARGET=_blank>http://www.arpith.com/
    </A>

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While making your own graphics or paying someone to do so for you is considered best by most, the sites with either free or paid for clipart and photos should be utilized as well. This give you an opportunity to provide your customers with the best of everything you can provide. Trust me most of them won't care if its free clipart if you can include it in their page with distinction and style and at little or no cost to them. If the customer is happy, your happy.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    SitePoint Moderator
    ICQ 29015947

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops.....I meant....5 graphics for 12 bucks!

Sorry,...!

Anyway.....I've never purchased any....just noticed that they offered this as a service! Also, they take orders to for custom services/orders!

Link: http://www.netstudio.com/powerpics/index.html

Anyway, I've found NetStudio to be very helpful....however, your making your own graphics.....!

RKip

[This message has been edited by RKip (edited May 06, 2000).]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

Thanks a million for all the info!!

I just wanted to clarify a few things

I have Paint Shop Pro and I have been "designing" backgrounds, banners, buttons, lettering on buttons, ect....... for a while now. You can see my latest project at http://www.geocities.com/dolly_lee

I took a simple red heart and designed the background with the side bar and the banners on each page. So I do have some experience working with graphics and doing some designing. I am in the process of using an on-line PSP tutorial to learn even more. I am still learning something new everyday. I have made tons of things in it. The web sites I have are a mix of things. The one given to you above is a more serious site about my son. I also have a comical family site which I did use some "freebie" graphics on. But I have been learning how to do more of my own designing!! Yes, I do have one site hosted on Geo Cities, because 2 years ago when I started that site I new NOTHING about web design and needed their web page developer program. Now I hand code most everything. I also have a domain name and a site at Future Quest and will be working on getting things move over to there.

So to Isaia......I am not going around "selling myself" with an I don't care about quality attitude! I haven't started desiging yet! I came here to ask for some suggestions, to help me learn more about finding some quality graphics/pictures. For instance, if someone would like a real picture of the ocean on their banner, this is not something a person can draw! It is also not reasonable for me to hop a plane and fly to the coast to take a picture of the ocean. This was the type of "graphics" I was wondering about. NOT the type a person could draw or design themselves!

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and opinions!!

dlee

------------------
    dolllee@pressenter.com
    http://www.geocities.com/dolly_lee

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by RKip:
    Oops.....I meant....5 graphics for 12 bucks!

Sorry,...!

Anyway.....I've never purchased any....just noticed that they offered this as a service! Also, they take orders to for custom services/orders!

Link: http://www.netstudio.com/powerpics/index.html

Anyway, I've found NetStudio to be very helpful....however, your making your own graphics.....!

RKip

[This message has been edited by RKip (edited May 06, 2000).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for passing on this site. I went and checked out Powerpics and it sounds wonderful! Especially the $3 per picture! However......this is what was printed in the agreement........

You may not use
    the PowerPics Images if any of the following apply, or in
    any other manner, including, but not limited to, the
    following: your business currently employs more than 35 full
    time employees (do not include freelancers or contractors);
    if your business had more than 10 million dollars in gross
    revenue during the previous calendar year; if a function of
    your business is building or creating websites for others; on
    a commercial web page or web site or in any other
    broadcast medium, in any for sale product, including, but
    not limited to, publications such as magazines,
    newspapers and books; and in any printed materials..........

So from this I understood web designers can not use their pictures. Correct?

dlee