SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Positionning a footer below AP elements!

More on this crazy column/expansion/positionning issue.

I have a really interesting, yet incredibly painful problem. There is too much code in this site I am doing to reproduce here in an understandable manner so I am going to ask a question instead, perhaps Paul would be the best person to answer for me.

Is it possible to position a footer at a certain position from the bottom of the page when the majority of the contents above it are absolutely positioned without it being overlapped by the AP content?

I tried to set the HTML/BODY to 100% then set the wrapper div 100% and position the footer in relation to that div, but the wrapper does not grow tall enough as all the elements it contains are absolutely positioned.

So would anyone have a solution for this issue without having to redesign all templates without position absolute?

Regards

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,

Using absolutes takes the element in question out of the flow of the document and is subsequently 'ignored' and 'ignores' all other elements on the page. Thats why your wrapper div isnt growing tall enough.

It seems Paul O.B may be the one to help you with this issue! This might be what you're looking for:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...66&postcount=3
    Last edited by elduderino; Sep 16, 2006 at 06:20.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's the problem with AP elements, but thanks for the link to Paul's thread thought, I managed to do something with that.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sorry I misssed your original post but as you found out there is no real way to get beyond (below) absolutely positioned elements without scripting. Which is a shame because it would often be very useful.

This is why floats for layouts have become popular because you can still still control the flow after a float.