SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Web Fonts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone tell me what fonts you can use on the web that most people will be able to see, and ones that aren't too over the top. (Apart from Times, Helvetica, Arial and Verdana).

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One font that I used previously was Tahoma and it looked ok.

------------------
    Soon to come,
    webmasterswork.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only like Times New Roman and Arial. If I remember correctly, TNR has also been tested as one of the easiest fonts to read, despite what you may have heard elsewhere.

I don't like Verdana much...

------------------
    Chris - TWT Commish
    http://www.warningtrack.net
    "Baseball - Baked Fresh Daily"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Fruit & Veg:
    Can anyone tell me what fonts you can use on the web that most people will be able to see, and ones that aren't too over the top. (Apart from Times, Helvetica, Arial and Verdana).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I think apart from the fonts mentioned by u...the other that can be read r the ones that installs by default with Windows...
    one of them is Courier...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two standards for the Internet as we know it are Times New Roman and Arial. Both are easy to read and are defaulted on all systems except the MAC, who's default is Tahoma.

If you want to cater to all users use one of the fonts listed above. If you plan on deviating from the default fonts for a specific reason, put them in graphic form. Otherwise, your visitors will just see TNR.

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Isaiah Walter
    Founder and Owner
    ------------------
    Federation Fire - Internet Solutions
    Professional Internet design for non-professional prices™

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can embed fonts onto your page if you want a custom font, but it works only with IE people. There is an explanation somewhere at microsoft.com on how to do it.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, the Mac default is Times (not new roman) and Helvetica. I didn't even have Tahoma until I installed IE5 with its "web fonts."

My favorite font is Verdana. It's very readable (one of the easiest) and I think it looks good. The easiest font to read on the screen is Airel or Verdana. The reason? They were specifically designed to be readable on the web at 72 ppi (pixels per inch). Times is easy to read on paper but harder to read on the screen. For long passages you may want to put the text in Times New Roman anyway because the serifs help guide the eye and reduce fatigue. A sans serif font is best for shorter or larger type size documents.

Owen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stand corrected on the MAC default. I didn't know which of the times were the defaults, so I didn't say which one. I also thought that Tahoma was the default. I guess that it is Helvetica.
    Can anyone tell that I am not a MAC person?

------------------
    Isaiah Walter
    Founder and Owner
    ------------------
    Federation Fire - Internet Solutions
    Professional Internet design for non-professional prices™

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an easy mistake - they look almost the same.

All that matters is that you test your pages on both platforms (and maybe Linux) to make sure it looks fine. Macs have a higher DPI so graphics are smaller (and darker from better gamma)...

Owen

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the font choices of Dreamweaver2. It gives 5 font groups. I assumed (maybe mistakenly) that all the choices of Dreamweaver2 would be ok...

ie.
    arial,Helvetica,sans-serif
    TimesNR,Times,Serif
    Courier,New Courier,Times,Mono
    Georgia,TimesNR,Times,Serif
    Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif

And you can edit the list...

I have been using the selection "Georgia" as it is the one that I prefer on my site.

Are these fonts groups compatible with most browsers? And is there a website that shows what is best with all browers, fonts, colors, etc...

------------------
    WebKat's PawPrints
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those font groups are compatible with both Macintoshes and PC's, not sure about Linux though but if Linux's Truetype support is standard but if it is Linux users can install any of the fonts listed as well.

Font use is purely subjective, just like color use. It is your website so you pick the font combinations that look best to you. Some tips include:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Using 2 fonts. One for your headlines, captions and other marking information and one for body text. On the web it is easier to read sans-serif fonts whereas in print mediums a serif font is easier to read. This is why Verdana and Tahoma arguably two of the most readable fonts on the Internet are sans-serif (basically it means "without the little tails on each letter's edge") and why Times New Roman is one of the most readable fonts in print medium due to its serif nature.
    <LI>Using fonts that suit your message. Don't use a high-tech typeface for a site on Medieval Catholicism which would look better with a font based on Calligraphy like a scribes handwriting. Don't use something called "Kid Scrawl" for a high-tech business site unless your selling toys.
    <LI>Make sure your fonts are readable at smaller point sizes so it can be used in any situation on your site.
    </UL>

There are millions of free and shareware fonts available and hundreds of thousands of commercial fonts available in the world today (I have 8,000 on my PC right now, not all installed of course). Pick and choose and find the perfect fonts for your site and tastes. Of course if its not a standard font you either have to allow the visitors to download it or embed it in the webpage. Both browsers support font embedding and you can find out how at their respective websites. With embedding you can use commercial fonts without violating copyright.

------------------
    Wayne Luke
    SitePoint Moderator
    ICQ 29015947

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited May 05, 2000).]