SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

a fresh, new start... dujmovicv's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FRAMESET or DIV or what...

I started to work on a web page for my company with a lack of experience in PHP, so I constantly need to ask for help...
    I'll try to explain my problem perhaps the attached picture will help you to help me
    So the yellow line on the blue banner is a "select" form with language 4 options for the user. The red block is a navigation menu.
    Now I don't know how to "put" the contents of my page into the grey field and to indicate on the banner the location (NEWS i.e.). If the user wants to read the news in German, he/she selects the Ger language in the "select" form (yellow color) and the content changes into German language. Hope it's clear to you...
    Do I need to start a session or cookie, can you show me some good example?
    Which way is better for the grey field (content) : frame or div ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont do frames - stick with a css layout.

You need to have your content stored in a database so that you can have different versions (languages) stored.

Your SQL select statement can rely on a URL parameter for the language selection. This URL parameter can be passed by your drop-down box, forwarding the user to, for example:
    homepage.php?lang=de
    or
    homepage.php?lang=en

Have you worked with dynamic sites before? Do you have dreamweaver? This type of thing is very easy in that.
    Fast Fwd Multimedia
    Web, IT & Cloud Computing Consultancy
    Currently looking for web freelancers. Get in touch!

a fresh, new start... dujmovicv's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help. I'm really new in web programming and I'm trying to solve my problem (described above) without SQL, however, I am ready to learn more about databases if it IS the easiest way for my project.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are using a server-based language like php, SQL is an advantage. You could say that both go hand in hand, and, most of the times is faster and more efficient to leave the database do the work than php (things like calculations, as an example)

On the other hand, if the information is stored in a database, you simply have no other way to do it, because SQL exists for that very reason: to execute queries and get the information from the database.

If your selection has nothing to do with the database, then php would be like any other programming language, and you can simply send the user to any other page depending on the selection.

Still, if you are doubting if you should use frameset or not (which I believe you shouldn't), I guess is because you want to load the information in the same page. You could sort that out with an HttpRequest, which is also supported by php