Hybrid View

There can be only One.... joelwills's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PWS and IIS

OK her's the problem,

My site worked fine on PWS (and still does when checked on another computer). Yet I now have XP and IIS. It's not that some pages don't work, they just take forever to load, and eventually the progress bar gets to the end and the page doesn't appear. Some pages are fine, even ones with a load of database queries. Others don't. The only difference is PWS and IIS.

Does anyone know why my pages would be behaving this way? I haven't managed to set up my web host to test this on there yet.

Any theories would be welcomed!
    Life Goggles - The Entertaining Environment Blog
    http://www.lifegoggles.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm. My theory would be that Windows XP wasn't designed to run IIS. XP (even professional) is still a client O/S and I haven't heard anything about XP being a capable web server.

I think that's where hailstorm and the .NET server are going to come in and take over IIS. Try using Windows 2000 and IIS and see if that works.

PWS is IIS just a slimmed down, easier to use version. DId you install IIS on the XP O/S? Which version of XP are you running?
    SiteTell.com: Get the best viral marketing tool on the planet and watch as the number of unique visitors to your site soars!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, sorry about the delay, I've been away.

I've got XP Pro, not sure what IIS it is, it was automatically installed when I upgraded from Win98 which had PWS on it.

Thanks for your reply, it's very annoying so hopefully I can figure out a way to sort it out!

Cheers

SitePoint Addict kevin_tremblay's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIS runs fine on XP. I have it running along with my cold fusion stuff for testing and works great.

PWS is basically IIS in the background. stripped down a bit but other than that pretty much the same. PWS uses the inetpub structure just as IIS does.

what kind of system are you running your Xp on. Fairly robust and fairly new?
    Kevin Tremblay-- Sys Admin
    work: kevin_tremblay@hsgmed.com
    "The object of the journey is not to arrive."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's robust (hardly crashed on Win98, occasionally on XP), but not new. Just over 18 months old, however the site worked fine on it when I had Win98 and PWS (and still does on another computer), it just hangs on some pages on IIS.

Bizarre!