SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website rank with search engines - outsource or not?

Hi,

I need to make my company's website (www.bbcominc.com) more visible to the search engines.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to outsource this or if I can do it myself.

I understand about titles, meta tags (keyword and description), submitting to search engines, hmtl content and a little about how not to spam, but I'm still confused about the following:

We have some flash menus on the page that will be invisible to the webcrawlers. Is this a big deal?(we also have image links leading to the same pages)

Does only the opening page need to contain the meta tags?

What about adding titles and alt attributes to image tags?

I need to know about some of this stuff to even decide if I should outsource or not.

Any ideas/opinions are much appreciated
    Muchos Gracias
    DLL

insert witty comment here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If youve set-up your page well then the flash wont affect it at all. (sounds like you have - alternate links is always a good idea).
    Alt tags are part of the standards deal so its probably a good diea to have them in but for the most part wont affect your search engine ratings. Yes I recommend have meta-tags on all pages, customize each pages tags to reflect the specifics of the page a little if you like.
    As far as outsourcing goes - depends on your budget and your needs. If you find a good firm to do it and get recomendations from other who have actualy used it, and can afford it ..then why not. They will have the time, staff and know-how to do it right. As always its a case of buyer beware as there are lots sites offering miracles without being able to deliver.

For doing things yourself this is a good resource: www.selfpromotion.com

Myros
    NeuralStudios.com
    Art, design, development and web management services.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're on any sort of time table and can afford the consultants, go for it. If, however, you have the time on you hands to learn more about this stuff, you should probably do that, so you understand how these things work. The best resources I have found for SEO info is RankWrite (get their newsletter) and SearchEngineWatch. Here's a few things I felt I needed to point out:
    • First off, I'd like to point out that splash pages absolutely kill robots--especially when done in Flash.
    • Meta-tags are over hyped. Many search engines ignore them completely.
    • If the Flash (or any other element) isn't strictly necessary for your message--drop it. This is mainly a usability thing, though, but search engines have a hard time with useless stuff, too.
    • Make alternate links as text. Generally, search engines do a much better time with text links and content than graphics. Many search engines don't support the alt attribute.
    • Keep your content focused. Extra stuff can dilute your SEO efforts.

~~Hope This Helps

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, thanks for the input.

I think I'll try it myself. - those newsletters will help a bunch.

DLL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, you'll wanna get some reciprocal linking going.

I didn't see what your site's about, but if you can get maybe 20 other sites in a similar field to yours to link to you, you'll be heading in the right direction, especially with Google.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we also have image links leading to the same pages
    Never use an image where text could be. Search Engines can't read what an image looks like, so if you use an image for links instead of text you miss out on some excellent opportunities for more keywords.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will putting alt or title attributes into the image tag make much of a difference?

I think the site is going to need a bit of an overhaul.

We have a flash menu on every page.

It's http://www.bbcominc.com

DLL

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <sidebar>If you were going to use SEO consultants, who would you use?</sidebar>

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a proposal from a guy at Cyber Scriber.

I haven't looked into any others yet.

DLL

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the book I'm writing the first two chapters cover what you need to do before you build your site and what to do while building it. Too many people only think of promotion after they are done with the building, this is bad. You should be thinking about promotion even before you decide if you really want to make the website.

If you're site wasn't planned out to be promotable from the beginning, then you may indeed need an overhaul now.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums