Hi,

I've been reading about some of the new features PHp6 may include. Some of them are intriguing.

PHP6 is supposed to have type hinting for return values. They thought about type hinting for properties, but rejected that idea.

Source: Minutes PHP Developers Meeting - 5.8 Type-hinted properties and return values

What are your thoughts on this? I'm somewhat excited about it, because I can see where it could be useful, but I am starting to imagine methods like:

PHP Code:
public MyObject function someMethod(MyOtherObject $another_object)
{

// ...

This is starting to look more and more like a statically-typed language. I won't say whether that's a good or bad thing, as I think both have their places in development, but it just seems kind of weird in a language that professes to be dynamically-typed. What are your thoughts?

I like the direction that PHP is starting to go. PHP5 is, in my opinion, leagues ahead of where PHP4 was, and I hope PHP6 will make even more improvements, especially if it includes namespace support. That's excellent for the developers who use PHP's more advanced features, but I'm wondering what will happen to PHP's largest? user base, using procedural programming. Is PHP going to promote object-oriented programming (as I think it is beginning to in PHP5), maybe earning more respect from some developers, while alienating the others? Is PHP still going to be the language with the low barier to entry and shallow learning curve as it was in PHP4 and earlier?

I don't mind either way. I'm thrilled to see PHP going in the direction it is. I'm just wondering about the effects of this new direction.