SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate. Sorry I've taken so long to fire back to you. I got caught up in producing this site, but that's no excuse.

Anyhoo, I have taken your comments on board, and whilst I don't (yet) entirely agree (but disagree less than I initially did), I have settled with not making external links (all four in the entire site, heh) open in new windows for the sake of sticking with HTML 4.01 strict, and not bothering with javascript (which I don't really believe in using for doing something so simple as this anyway .. not that the site doesn't utilise javascript already).

On another note, <snip>link removed by advisor</snip>Comments, suggestions?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Paul O'B; Sep 26, 2006 at 03:46. Reason: reviews are handle in the review section
    ride it like it's stolen

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll find that site reviews are restricted to the Website Reviews forum.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    As Tyseen said reviews are handled in the review section so I have removed the link as you need to read the guidlines in that section first .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Righto !
    ride it like it's stolen

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the first things surfers learn when they hit the web for the first time is the back button. When people start using the internet and computers, there is always a certain element of nervousness. There is some misconception that by clicking one incorrect button that the world will end and the pc will blow up. With time, these fears are alleviated somewhat, however people always refer back to the safety net they know.

Being able to click the back button if you do something wrong is something almost everyone of us use each and every day. Whether it be in photoshop, excel, dreamweaver or online. There is no need for technical reasons or explanations, surely common sense is the only point needed.

It still amazes to visit a site where the designer has tried to control the users navigation - this is ridiculous. Did anyone in the world ever stay on a website where if it wouldn't let them leave? If you know of anyone, please let me have their name and address and i will arrange a public flogging.

We design for users, never forget that and all the technical advice and blurb will become so much clearer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new window idea isn't to control the user's navigation, but to assist them.

I enjoy decent hardware, namely a good mouse with plenty of buttons - one of which opens a new window. I realise not everybody is so fortunate, and I for one wouldn't like to have to use the keyboard or a context menu to pull up a new window if I had to use old or inferior hardware. But that's just me.

I just don't see it as an issue about control since I see no problem with having external sites open in a new window, and I in fact much prefer it. Sure, occasionally you sometimes don't want to open an external link in another window, but that's only when you're finished with the current site, and then, how often do you coincidentally want to go to another site?
    As was said, sometimes it happens, but I think it's very rare, and the pros outweight the cons.

Anyway, we should put this to bed. Speaking of which, I'm going to bed. Goodnight matey.
    ride it like it's stolen