User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this easy to learn?

Hi,

I have done a lot of programming before with other languages like PHP, Java, and C++. I am doing a project for my software engineering class and I really want my group to use Ruby for our website project we proposed. I want to be able to convince them that this will be easy to learn and that it is the newest and hottest thing out there (as far as I have heard at least). I want to get my feet wet with this new technology instead of making a boring 'ol PHP and MySQL website. So my question is, is this easy for new programmers to learn? Most of the people in my group have had little to no experience with programming in the past (and mainly experience with just Java). I was reading a book for Ruby at the bookstore and some parts of it look a little more involved for new programmers while some of it looks pretty straightforward and easy.

What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've done plenty of programming before, I'm sure you'll have no problems picking it up. The broadband site in my signature was my little RoR experiment, it took me an afternoon from scratch. It's dead simple, but it was a good little learning exercise. Check out some of the Screencasts on the Rails site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still trying to make the jump from PHP to Ruby. I've done a lot of programming, I'm just lazy, I guess. I've done a few ruby apps, and once you start you get annoyed at PHP. However, it's like an old habit--I keep going back.

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well if you made a lot of programming in the past learning Ruby is not that difficult IMO, it can be even faster that what you think...and OOP languages are trendy these days
    You can find some nice examples of web apps and sites using RoR here: www.rubyonrails.org