SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreamweaver and XHTML/CSS pages

Does Dreamweaver has issues rendering XHTML1.0/STRICT + CSS pages when they are hand coded and work perfectly fine in Firefox and IE6/7?

Dreamweaver never seems to want to show the pages how I code them and just mangles the output in the preview mode. Not that I ever use web developing software (I hand code everything to perfection,) but when my wife wants to edit the pages she wants to see them in dreamweaver.

So.. does dreamweaver has rendering issues or should I look deeper into my coding style (which seems to be perfect so I hoped

Segment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver does have some issues with getting the preview right, although i'm not sure whether that has something to do with using xhtml1.0/strict.

Which version of DW are you using? I do know that DW MX has a lot more problems getting the preview right then DW MX2004. You really shouldn't use the preview in DW to check if it looks fine or not, you should leave that to Firefox / IE
    Travel Photos on Flickr - Twitter

“Never give up. Never surrender”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know. I'm a purist when it comes to code so I use a text editor with firefox/IE for all my viewing.

But.. my wife wants DW FFS It's Dreamweaver 8.0

I should mention that it is actually "fake" xhtml1.0/strict. But nonetheless it's only doctyped as xhtml for validation purposes to make sure that things are as valid as they can be.

Anyhow, the fact remains, I'll write pretty much what I think is perfect code where it renders perfectly in IE/Firefox, but dreamweaver makes it look like ****

Thanks for your reply.

Segment

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you must make sure the doctype is right - see http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/render-mode.html

DW8 handles CSS ok to a point but only for basics. IMHO DW8 fails to preview more complex CSS pages. The only way is to hit F12 to preview in your browser and shift F12 for an alternative browser

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay thanks for your replies.

I just really wanted to confirm that there are some issues with DW8 rendering and that it just wasn't something that is invisible to me in my coding style.

Segment

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DW8 is way better in the way it previews css layouts than any other version. To date, I haven't found a css layout where DW8 has a problem rendering correctly........

Nadia

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    suggesion:

if you just want to edit some simple page, the former is enough.
    if you want to page express what you want to , you 'd better look deeper into coding style
    I'm glad to communicate technology of computer