SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much design control can you get in a CMS?

I've been helping run a site for a small magazine, and recently we redesigned the whole thing, mostly to give it an artistic overhall. We had used Joomla for a CMS before (using a CMS would be natural for a magazine...) but we weren't happy with how little control we had over how the pages looked. So right now, we're operating with an entirely-html website built in GoLive. It looks nice, and exactly how we want it to, but it's a pain to add new material to. I was considering brushing up on PHP and MySQL and trying to code up a CMS myself, but I'm a bit daunted. I tried to look around some for a CMS that gives you alot of control over design, but I haven't found anything yet. Are there any CMSs that give you alot of control over how article pages look, like say, putting your own html template over the PHP engine that the CMS uses? Or should I go get a PHP/MySQL book out of the library? Thanks!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's no cheap but http://www.asbrusoft.com/ CMS gives you full control over templates and data. Unlike most CMS's you have to build your own templates first leaving to to create your very own look and feel.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm yeah, free would be ideal. I guess it's a lot to ask for a free service that let's you completely alter all the templates. I'll probably just keep scouring the internet looking for tutorials and code samples.

Thanks

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have a look at www.opensourcecms.com - lots of demo of free CMS's, you might find something there

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman22
    I guess it's a lot to ask for a free service that let's you completely alter all the templates.
    I have been using Joomla for several projects and with Joomla you can completely alter the templates - or better - build them from scratch. Also, you have complete control over the CSS file.

Here you will find a good template tutorial.

There is also a blank CSS file which you change as you like.

I don't think you can get more control than this.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hrm well, I guess I missed that during the first go with Joomla. I'll have to try all that out again. Thanks for the help. I'm going to check out that opensourcecms site and what else is around. Thanks guys.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to go with Joomla, you can build your layout as you would normally do and then just plug the appropriate Joomla code into your divs to load the contents, i.e.:

Code:
      <div id="main">
      	<?php mosPathWay(); ?>
      	<?php mosMainBody(); ?>
      </div>

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like it'd probably work well, pixelcop. Thanks alot! I'm not sure how soon I'll get Joomla again and to try it out, but when I do, I'll see how it works and ask for more help if I need it

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eZpublish ( http://www.ez.no ) gives you control over every aspect of the display of the site. It may be a little daunting at first, but the customisation option are pretty impressive, as is the cms itself in my opinion.

Tim