SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I connect to the internet with a mobile phone and my pc?

I am in my first term at university and staying in halls of residence, the problem is that when I bring my PC up here after christmas there are no phones to connect it to the internet, well there are public phones in the hallways but I can't connect my PC to those.

So I just wanted to know if I can connect my PC to a mobile phone like people do with laptops?

I have three questions that I need some answers/advice for:

1 - Is it possible?

2 - Do I need a special type of mobile phone or will anyone do? (I am in the United Kingdom if this makes any difference?).

3 - Do I need any cards or software for it to work?

Thanks for any advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 - Yes
    2 - Whether you can or can't depends on your phone's capabilities. Check the mfg's website to determine if you can.
    3- If you are able to, then its usually a matter of obtaining the proper cable. Usually its an accessory that can be purchased by a reseller, or from their website.

--There's my 1.5 cents, now where is my change!?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of university in the UK doesn't even have Internet access in it's residences? How behind the times can they be?

I don't know if you know this, but if you don't it's nice to know:
    Today's cell-phone networks top out at about 9 to 18 kilobits per second when transmitting data -- much slower than the standard 56-kbps dialup connection you get through a landline. Those speeds are tolerable for WAP phones, which have stripped-down text interfaces, but they don't work when you're surfing graphics-heavy webpages on a cell-phone-cum-laptop setup.
    http://www.business2.com/articles/we...,11470,00.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't suggest you do that, unless you have a lot of money to throw around to pay for the call costs.

It is used mainly by bussiness users who just want to be able to logon for a few mins, check their mail and thats it.

You will need a specail type of mobile phone, and a special cable to suit your mobile phone ($) and the nececarry software to connect through your phone.

A uni should have internet access.. most educational places have do.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dominique
    What kind of university in the UK doesn't even have Internet access in it's residences? How behind the times can they be?
    Most universities expect students to go to the university library or computer rooms to access the internet. They do not often have phone lines in indivdual rooms in halls of residence, because students would run up massive phone bills and are notorious for payiong late or not at all. Also halls of residence are often for 1st years only after that they rent a house so the phone thing is not a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have got to be kidding me! How archaic!

I agree with the phone line charges arguments, that would cost quite a fortune, but that shouldn't even be an issue. The only logical way to go is to install a residence wide LAN that feeds into the campus Internet access.

Then simply charge a flat monthly fee for the broadband access. That's the only smart way to do it.