SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Need Content Management System for Church

I know, I know -- there are scads of posts on this topic already. I just can't get any information from them except "xxxx is the best."

My client is a church, a rather large one. They need a CMS to reduce the burden on the IT guy, whose job is to keep the 75+ node network running -- and administer the website (hosted by me). My experience is with WordPress and Movable Type, each of which has their strengths and weaknesses, but neither of which is appropriate for this task.

If I could get the access control of MT (needed so the various ministers and staff members can update only their areas) and the static page generation of WP, I'd be happy. If I can get this for free, that's great, but I expect to have to pay something (even if it's a reduced price for a non-profit).

Any suggestions based on those two criteria?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Joomla has user editable areas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmuench
    I know Joomla has user editable areas.
    Very nice interface! Thanks for the recommendation. However, the access controls are very limited. I need something with roles and permissions, so that users can be restricted to a particular section. Movable Type allows me to restrict a user to specific blogs and functions; however, it doesn't let me create static pages (as opposed to blog entries).

That brings up a third criteria: multiple blogs or sections. I need to be able to create multiple sections, so that each user is editing his content, not another's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Expression Engine, but it is not for free..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maepaulino
    Try Expression Engine, but it is not for free..
    Actually, it *would* be free for the church, as a nonprofit. However, I'm concerned that Expression Engine appears to be blog-centric. The users of this CMS -- ministers and their secretaries, mostly -- will generally be updating one or two pages each, not keeping a running diary with archives as a blog does. Or have I misjudged EE?

I've gone through a number of demos over at http://opensourcecms.com and have found a couple that I'll be looking at again, but none of them seem to have my basic needs down.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Toner
    If I could get the access control of MT (needed so the various ministers and staff members can update only their areas) and the static page generation of WP, I'd be happy.
    Indeed. I really do hope Joomla includes these features very soon, and document version control.

In the meantime, I believe Drupal does all of this for you. Have you checked it out?

- Vince

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Toner
    Actually, it *would* be free for the church, as a nonprofit. However, I'm concerned that Expression Engine appears to be blog-centric. The users of this CMS -- ministers and their secretaries, mostly -- will generally be updating one or two pages each, not keeping a running diary with archives as a blog does. Or have I misjudged EE?

I've gone through a number of demos over at http://opensourcecms.com and have found a couple that I'll be looking at again, but none of them seem to have my basic needs down.
    ahehe... sorry about that.. didn't saw that actually it's not really *that* blog-centric here's an example http://www.blogmoxie.com I never knew they were using ee until they said so... lols

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should checkout civicspace which is a fork of drupal with all the important modules included.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by spVince
    In the meantime, I believe Drupal does all of this for you. Have you checked it out?
    I just spent a bit of time with it. It does the access control I want and, once I figured out how to play with content types and authors, allowed me to limit a user's interaction with a page.

I've only had a brief look at extensions to the platform, so I don't know if it's possible to work around some limitations: 1) I'd like a WYSIWIG editor; 2) I'd like the last approved revision of a page to remain active until a new revision is is approved; and 3) I'd like to define a theme on a per-page basis. All of these make it easier for the non-tech user and keep them from doing something stupid. Are they possible?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) there are at least two RTE as modules. There is one included in the civicspace version.

2) Workflow management... no problem

3) There is a module called "Views".. with this you can customize the appearence of nodes (content elements).

check out: http://civicspacelabs.org/home/node/15257

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I started to answer my own question after browsing the the contributed modules over at drupal.org and then I got excited about all the possibilities. Thanks for pointing me to Drupal!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used many different CMS systems, but have never been satisfied until I found http://www.modxcms.com. It's actually more of a framework then a CMS but it can be used with out of the box addons (which it calls snippets). It is the only CMS I have found that conforms to what you want it to do with your design instead of making you conform to it's limits like Joomla, Drupal, and Mambo do. And yes it can do everything you are looking for including user roles.