SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 1st Website Too Violent? Please review

Hi, guys I have a Website were I sell t-shirts featuring iconic movie characters, guns, etc.

Its built using strict xhtml and css, it validates, but I through caution to the wind as far as layout goes, breaking almost every rule for traditional commerce websites, it small, light and almost featureless except for a hacked paypal/javascript shopping cart. Just the basics baby!

Please hit me with your best shots, I THINK I'm prepared.

http://mikemoscow.com
    Last edited by Mike Moscow; Sep 8, 2006 at 17:10. Reason: To intimidating...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good job on the design scheme. I love the image on the right, but it may be a bit too distracting. Maybe try adjusting the opacity of it.

Also, it would be nice to at least see an "about us page" on the site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it very much. Great t-shirts ! As your business activities get better and better try to make your site looks larger. It will make it look more professional and will attract more customers for sure. I like that it gives me an artistic impression. Good job!

My best wishes
    Last edited by tomatoeggs; Sep 10, 2006 at 02:52.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webhead2
    Very good job on the design scheme. I love the image on the right, but it may be a bit too distracting. Maybe try adjusting the opacity of it.
    Thats a good suggestion, and a really easy/quick process. I will def. try that.

Quote Originally Posted by webhead2
    Also, it would be nice to at least see an "about us page" on the site.
    I was thinking about that. I just dont know if I want to create an entire page for about us. Where could I put the about us link?
    MikeMoscow.com
    T-Shirts featuring movie villians, guns, aliens, blood.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomatoeggs
    I like it very much. Great t-shirts ! As your business activities get better and better try to make your site looks larger. It will make it look more professional and will attract more customers for sure. I like that it gives me an artistic impression.
    Hi thanks for the comments. What do you mean 'to make my site look larger'? Do you mean more products? Or visually larger?

Thanks all
    MikeMoscow.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design is nice although a bit overpowering. What are you selling, your site or your products?

To answer your question, you could put the about us link next to the contact us link. More content is absolutely crucial to this site for instillin a sense of trust in customers and for SEO.

You are off to a good start.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be great if you had both more products and more options for the visitors.

My best wishes
    Last edited by tomatoeggs; Sep 10, 2006 at 02:42.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, thanks for the response

Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    The design is nice although a bit overpowering. What are you selling, your site or your products?
    products of course, I just wanted a very dramatic effect. I plan to change the image depending on the new shirt being released. Do you think that is a good idea?

To answer your question, you could put the about us link next to the contact us link.
    Yeah I see that, I just liked that the contact button was more like a sentence rather than a button. But I could change it.

More content is absolutely crucial to this site for instillin a sense of trust in customers and for SEO.
    By more content do you mean like 'about us' content? Such as shipping info, company/artist info?
    MikeMoscow.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomatoeggs
    It would be great if you had both more products and more options for the visitors.
    Hi, What sort of options would you suggest?
    MikeMoscow.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing that seemed a bit out of place was the logo being too close to the top of the page.

good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Moscow

products of course, I just wanted a very dramatic effect. I plan to change the image depending on the new shirt being released. Do you think that is a good idea?
    Yes, good idea, just not so in your face and over powering

Yeah I see that, I just liked that the contact button was more like a sentence rather than a button. But I could change it.
    I think nav should be a distinct element of your design. Keep in the sentence but make it a part of a distinct nav as well.

By more content do you mean like 'about us' content? Such as shipping info, company/artist info?
    Exactly! People want to know who they are buying from, want to feel safe making their purchase, artist info is a definite plus!

SitePoint Enthusiast CorkyMcDoogle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice site... I really like it.

Some people are saying the image on the right is too distracting but I disagree. You said you will switch it up depending on which new shirt is featured... I think having the image will help sell you more shirts. Let's look at it this way...

If you just had the pic of the guy in a shirt I'd probably pass on it. You can't really tell what it is that well from the picture. But... by you having the actual huge design next to it I can see how bad *** it actually is and it gives me a better idea of what it would look like in person.

No offense to any of the other reviewers but I have a feeling I'm the type of person that would be buying the type of shirts he is selling.

I do agree though that some shipping info, artist info, company info, or whatever else you've got would be nice. While the site does professional, I get the feeling you're just some guy printing these shirts on an order by order bases out of your basement. Give people the feeling you're experienced and know what you're doing (I'm not saying you don't).

Also, why is the "Mike Moscow" clipped off that the top? It looks a little wierd to me.

Good luck

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest to have a homepage where you will describe your business activities and give the customer a general idea about you and your products. To make them feel that your business is unique. Maybe you could use some of your most impressive designs. Make the visitor understand what you have to offer, make him feel comfortable and then he can click and go to view your products in details and maybe add something to his shopping cart.

My best wishes.
    walleluia.com :: We share our profits... with you!

-- Free lottery, smart advertising!
    --