User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have an opinion...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerky and D showed me SitePoint.
    Egotist: A person more interested in himself than in me.
    KodeKrash - Eidix - Barrie LUG

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading a thread at the gethightraffic forums and it mentioned the webmasterforums or whatever sitepointforums was called in those days (about 18 months ago).

I lurked for ages because I had only ever used usenet newsgroups before (mainly programming newsgroups) and everyone seemed so polite and friendly and the lack of sarcasm here was really intimidating at first!

OMG - I can't believe I am reading this thread - I should be WORKING!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by freakysid
    lack of sarcasm here was really intimidating at first!
    lack of sarcasm??? HELLLLLLO!! what forum are you reading sid???

Making a better wheel silver trophy DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    saw the "DB Driven Website" link posted on some comp sites (Tweak3D.net was one, i know). that's kind of unusual for them to post links like that, but i checked out the article and i LOVED it! about the BEST article i've ever read online. that was like in March, and i believe Kev mentioned these forums in his article, and i read them for a few months before i registered on July 1st.
    - Matt ** Ignore old signature for now... **
    Dr.BB - Highly optimized to be 2-3x faster than the "Big 3."
    "Do not enclose numeric values in quotes -- that is very non-standard and will only work on MySQL." - MattR

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by iTec

lack of sarcasm??? HELLLLLLO!! what forum are you reading sid???
    Well quite obviously I am referring to the PHP forum my dear fellow - where only the pure of mind venture to be free from mingling with the unwashed Microsoft masses.

I am referring to sarcasm in its true sense. Wit so sharp it cuts deeply into the psyche of its target. Then there are those such as myself less gifted in the art, who's wit is too blunt to cut paper.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The man who speaks softly but hits with a big stick - beware the razor........

How'd I find it? Was a regular on a mixed martial arts forum, when one day another member began chatting about interest in web design, it turned out there were a few of us there, so I asked what the best forums people had found on the topic were. One mentioned Sitepoint - the rest is history!
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Freelance Web Designer KeithMcL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was webmaster-resources.com when I joined and the forums were running UBB. I dont remember how I came across WR at the time. I think I was surfing for webmaster related sites at the time and thought the articles on WR were better than any others I could find on the web back then and i've been a frequest visitor since.

I was a mentor up until a few weeks ago, but couldn't continue on as one because work has been too busy lately.

I always try to visit these forums and the main SP page at least once a day though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as I use HotDog html software I was directed to their site for hints, tips and problems, after a while I kept finding that I needed more detailed info and (Kevin or Nicky cannae quite remember) sent me in this direction... and yep since than I certainly have not looked back.

I think I found it at the right time though as I am not sure I would have been able to follow all the threads when I was a true beginner i.e. new to the internet in general.... and not that long ago.

But haven't been back to HD (forum TOO slow) avid SP fan, well done everyone hopefully I even manage to stick around for a while longer

Sarah
    Regular user

SPF Lifer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I discovered the SitePoint Forums from GeekVillage's bulletin boards. Somebody simply posted a list of all the webmaster-related forums available on the Internet. So I clicked on the SitePoint link and have been back and forth ever since.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked, and I've been registered a year now. Blimey!!!!

I came across SP whilst looking for Search Engine forums last year. I forgot about this place until about Julyish, when I started posting.

Now I never wanna leave.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Nicky
    It must have been SitePoint when you joined the forums though!
    Actually.. I think they had the forums before they changed the name to Sitepoint... or it was near the same time.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you are right.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently, when I finally registered it was from Google search - "webmaster forums". However, I have been here many times from a link from some other site and so on. I am sure I have been here a lot when it was called webmaster-resources. I have been only frequenting webamster realted forums lately but they were not of a lot of interest to me before as I was/am interested in business in general rather than webmastery.
    http://ProgrammingBids.com-Get bids on Design, Scripts, Programming..
    http://WebHost Requests.com - request/post quotes on web hosting plans for FREE!
    http://Smallbiz Marketplace.com - small business + office services: request for or bid!
    http://Smallbiz Advice.com - get expert advice or be an advisor and earn money (new!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of your members here runs his own forum, based around Australian Broadband issues. He also writes scripts, sells domains etc etc.

Anyway to cut a long story short, he had this place linked on one of his sites. I've been "tinkering" with web design for a few months now, but never really had anywhere to ask questions and actually progress further than view sources and reading tutorials.

I was also captivated by the whole PS tennis thing.

Now I have had time to look through some of the forums, I find that there are some really friendly, helpful people here.

so if it's ok with you lot, I think I might stay
    Wolfmother.net - Wolfmother Fan Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found SitePoint through SpacePorts' forums. (it's a free host)

I've been back since...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember how I found this place. I think it came about long ago, proably a discussion in another forum.

Anyways, I joined, and I was overwhelmed with the shear amount of posts per day, so I left, left for along time.

Now, about a week or two ago, I came back, I mostly stick around in Multimedia and Graphics Design, Thats may favorite forum by far.
    Ken Prescott - 21Studios freelancing design
    Graphic-Forums - The Forums for the Graphic User

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been so long, I can't remember - I know it was when there was UBB and Webmaster-Resources rather than vB and SitePoint, though. I remember being recommended by TWTCommish to read the then Webmaster Tribune and I might have found them through there. I posted a bit when I first registered that winter, but I took a break for a few months and ever since I came back, I'm been a regular.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tripped and fell into this place. I have never really been able to clime out
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by JMulder
    I didn't find SitePoint..SitePoint found me
    How did I found Sitepoint?
    *Points a finger to JMULDER*
    It's all his fault!!!
    jmulder[THE MENTOR]'s nice guy online!
    Rig: AMD Athlon 800mhz; 384mb SDRam; 32mb nVidia @ 1024x768; ie 6; Windows ME; 15 gig; Cd-RW

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm now that Saz has mentioned it, I realise there are Mentors and Advisors. It has always been just an orange blot to me. Heh.

Nope dont remember how I arrived at SP. Hmm.
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

The short answer is yes... Herbster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. It looks like most of the people who have posted to this thread have red titles. I guess it's alright for normal people to reply. (Is that what I meant to say?)

I had decided to build a website -> Insert yawn here <-
    I'm still building it -> Insert crying here <-

I had few contacts who could offer answers to my questions. One was a guy I've known online for over a year. He runs a hosting company - and is now my host even though I'm not live. I would include a plug, but I don't want to push it. Anyway - he has a business to run - he doesn't have unlimited time to answer newbie questions - so he did something better. He emailed me the link to Webmasterbase.com.

Not only did I find an answer to my question de jour, I found tons of fascinating articles - and a link to the SitePoint Forums. At first, I searched the forums for answers to specific questions. Then I found myself reading for general interest and "breadth". Now - well, it's too late for me - I've developed the addiction and I just gotta check in every day to see what's happening.

The accumulation of information in the forums is impressive, but what is more impressive is that it is a living body of information that grows and changes and springs from the minds of a hugely talented group of people who have an interest, willingness, NEED to help other people - that's why I come back.

There is something I'm curious about and being in the editor I can't see who posted it, but why would anyone be upset that they had to register before they could post? Posting in an open forum requires a certain amount of responsibility and accountability. I doubt I was asked for anything more than my name and email address.

If I could change the SitePoint Forums, I would change two things:

1) On occassion, people would hold their post and read it again in the morning before posting. It's pretty friendly here, but the occasional snot-gram is a real turn-off.

2) Someone would develop an online spell-checker for the message editor. I have other ways of expressing my ignorance. I don't need tools that drive me to a dictionary. (Just kidding!)

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2) is coming!!
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by dhtmlgod

AND I was annoyed at the lack of ASPers here and I'm planning on changing that.

Woohoo, D'! Right on, I'm with you there.

I found sitepoint because it was the name I originally wanted to register in the place of InterFall.com. However, we discovered it was taken. I said "well, let's see how good these people are." I saw the content of the site, joined up, and it's one of the best decisions I've made. I went from newbie to mentor to 'advice-giver'/sage of the forums.

I'm one of the older members (not age-wise, but membership-wise) and I was here when a lot of things started. It's given me a special attachment to this place.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I became familiar with online forums about a year ago and I thought to myself "What if there was a forum for webmasters? That would be awesome!".

So I found that forums at iboost.com and I was disappointed and the lack of quality. They were pretty poor so I kept looking.

A few days later I found SitePoint forums. The first forum I went into was the Website Reviews forum, I think, where EdShuck replied to my post. From his reply I was amazed at how friendly people here were. They actually answered my posts, and they didn't gang up to intimidate newbies. They even gave me suggestions, and welcomed me.

I haven't found another forum like this. I have found smaller forums that are friendly, but never a forum of this size that is still well organised and friendly. It all because of the volunteers here. There is a large number of advisors and even mentors (a concept I haven't seen anywhere else) that voluntarily help people.

I got addicted very quickly and saturated the board with tons and tons of posts. I am relatively new to the forums compared to the other advisors. I've only been here just a bit longer than Saz.
    Last edited by mmj; Dec 12, 2001 at 08:38.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found SitePoint through PHP Resources. I was looking for a message board that can help me out with a scripting problem.
    The Star Circle Quest Community - Community website for SCQ fans.
    Telebisyon.net - Reference guide to TV series shown in the Philippines.
    Lyrics Server Online! - All the lyrics you can get on one website.