User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did you find SitePoint?

I'm sure there's probably been a similar thing before, I'm just curious how you came to find SitePoint (and especially teh forums).

Personally I was on the lookout to buy tutorials/pay writers for studio:coco and was told that there was a site (findtutorials.com I believe) that was for sale. After asking some friends, one found the thread on SitePoint...

I was required to join though (which ticked me off at the time), so I did. For the first few days I just poked around while I waited for responses, talked in some threads...

I'll be honest, I had a huge attitude when I came here, it probably lasted the first couple of months (and 1000 posts), though I slowly started to mature and start to be more helpful.

I've ventured into most forums, and I've loved my time here, so thanx everyone for being part of my life and SitePoint Forums!
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know how I found this place.

* Edit

Guess I should talk

Well, mine isn't like what been up to iTec, I was colleting my e-mail one day and sunny had sent me and e-mail asking if I was interested in buying a site with him. It was in one of the forums that you had to register in so I did and then I noticed the ASP forum, knew the answers to nearly all the ASP questions and decided to stick at it. The other web design forum I was a memeber of had died so I needed some where fun and to tell my bad jokes.

AND I was annoyed at the lack of ASPers here and I'm planning on changing that.

Last edited by dhtmlgod; Dec 5, 2001 at 13:35.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to write for Webmaster-Resources BEFORE there were any forums. I got an email from Matt, I think he spammed everyone in his address book, to come and visit the new forums, so I came, I saw, I registered. If you check my profile you will that I registered the day after they opened, except that I actually registered on the day they opened, but because of the time difference it is registered as the day after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm well i found sitepoint when it first became sitepoint... i used to go to webmaster-resources religiously (along with 123webmaster before it went lame) then one day they poped up a message saying webmaster resources had closed and sitepoint had opened, read a billion and one articles and then one day in may this year i decided to have a looksie in the forums, went into the asp forum and somebody had a question that i knew the answer to so i registered and gave him the answer (he still hasnt said thanks!) then i wondered around a little more and well, got addicted.... incase you couldnt tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by iTec
    ...so i registered and gave him the answer (he still hasnt said thanks!)...
    That *******

I can't really remember how I found SP. I was wondering about how I would make javascript rollovers sticky, that was the first question that I asked. I just stuck around. Through getting banned (didn't know how to unsubscribe from a thread so I would post a blank reply and deselect the "get replies" box. There were lots of blank replies from me and Wayne and Nicky thought I was spamming (or just stupid maybe)), to becoming a Mentor and now an Advisor.

I guess Wayne's a glutton for punishment.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after that story I'm encouraged that there is the slimmest possibility that I might become an Advisor too
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

Bimbo With A Brain! silver trophy Saz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of our mentors, James, got the forums mentioned in one of the pc magazines that we buy, so I thought I'd check the place out.

Not one to mess about, I registered straight away and began posting. Erm....I think I kind of made my presence felt in a very short space of time!

As a result of that, after 3 months I was invited to become a mentor, then an advisor just short of 3 months after that, and I've loved every minute of it.
    Saz: Naturally Blonde, Naturally Dizzy!
    No longer Editor of the Community Crier.

Don't mind me, I'm having a BLONDE moment!

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found webmaster-resources.com just by typing in the URL one day. I was really impressed with the articles, and especially the free tools! I subscribed to the newsletter halfheartedly -- thinking that it would be just another "visit-my-site-and-click-on-all-my-affiliate-ads" type site. But I was really amazed at all the great tips that Matt presented (back then it was a one-man operation, as far as I know) so I kept coming back for more

I was one of the first people to register for the forums when they opened in July 1999. Since then, SitePoint can't seem to get rid of me..so they made me an advisor over the Trading Post..then a Senior Advisor over all the forums, and then a Team Leader with the Build Group!

And its been quite the learning experience, every step of the way!
    Sherice Jacob - Web Improvement Expert
    Improve Website Conversions | eBook Covers
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't find SitePoint..SitePoint found me
    Jeroen Mulder

w: www.jeroenmulder.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know it was lost! HAHAHA
    sorry, d's bad jokes must be rubbing off on me.

i think someone from another forum gave me a link to sitepoint forums. And then i never returned to tha other forum. I forget which forum it was though. oh well
    Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I've tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found Sitepoint after being referred to Kevin Yank's infamous "Building a Database Driven Website Using PHP and MySQL". I was not familiar to forums at all, and I wanted to check out what they exactly where. I had noticed them around, but I was just too proud to go and ask stuff.

After registering for an account, I had my name changed after a while. When I first signed up, I was known as Rafe, but later on I changed that into Mark T.

After exactly three months I was asked to become a Mentor, and I gladly accepted this honour. Ever since the first day I visited I became addicted to this place, and I never want to leave again.

*Hugs his screen with the Sitepoint page opened*

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember, but it wasn't SitePoint then.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hummmmm. I don't quite remember how I found SitePoint. I think I saw it in a few different sites that I had frequented.

Once I came here, though, I saw an article about web accessibility. And, shortly there after, another article, not quite as good as the first I saw, but still very tantalizing. Both by the same author: Nicky Danino. Her very name rolls off your tongue like poetry.

I kept coming back searching for more and more articles by that girl, but there were no more for some time. The other authors were good too, don't get me wrong, but Nicky...well...she was something special.

*Breaks into rendition of You Light Up My Life*

Soon after I arrived, I started noticing the 10 latest discussions at the foot of the home page. I clicked on a few. I saw I knew the answer. I wanted to respond, but alas, I have an irrational fear of cyber-stalkers.

Still, days later, I found myself drawn and compelled to respond to a slew of questions... But alas, they required name and registration. I thought to myself, "Self, they're just going to spam you, you know."

I could not bring myself to register. I wanted to, oh did I want to, but I was unable to. Days and days passed and I kept noticing 10 latest discussions. A week passed and that was still there. Each time there were questions that I could answer with my half-vast array of knowledge. Finally, I got nerve to register...finally.

*Breaks into rendition of Skinny Mer Rink a Dink a Dink (don't ask)*

I had arrived! I searched around for questions I could answer. And answered questions left and right, up and down.

Then I thought of why I remained at SitePoint to begin with. I started to look for that girl, and could not find her. Then one day a Nicky posted in the Web Design forum a question about usability. Could this be her, I thought?

I responded! She did not. A day or two later, she came back with "Has anyone anything else to add, I would think this was a serious issue for most developers/designers." Heartbroken, I looked elsewhere....

Unfortunately, I started venturing into the World Events sub-forum. There was the bane of my existence, he stood with his fighter jet badge like the hick he turned out to be--a conservative, right-wing, FOXNews watching, Tommy Thompson underling hick.

I swooped in. He bit back. Again, we went back and forth, back and forth. Until, I started to ignore him, but he persisted. He followed be around the forums, posting after me. Taunting me. I taunted back. He, then, recoiled--he left me alone and I was able to roam in piece and could pursue a greater calling without fear of ridicule and fear for my life. I blossomed.

And the rest, as they say, is history.... (and I haven't been spamed by SitePoint, yet)

BTW, how did your report go over, Nicky (its about time)?
    Last edited by Ian Glass; Dec 5, 2001 at 16:03.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must have been SitePoint when you joined the forums though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well I think I saw it in someone's signature in another forum
    Our Sites: Arcade Muffin | Viefex

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw it in the Webmaster Tribune (way back when SP was Webmaster-Resources). I figured it'd just be another webmaster forum like so many other sites had, but I signed up anyways and started posting shortly thereafter.

I think I found WR when Matt M. felt that my own webmaster site was too similar to his (it was an eerie coincidence, as I had never seen WR until he contacted me). So I visited the site in his e-mail sig and signed up for his newsletter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the truth is I found webmasterbase.com first (I was searching something about HTML, I guess I used google), and I liked the articles (I quickly put the site in my bookmarks).

One day I clicked the forum button and the rest is history: here I am

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ian, you're scaring me!

Which report is that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. I Just wanted to profess my undying love for you...

*Breaks into rendition of I Can See for Miles by the Who*

And, I'm the one with the irrational fear of cyber-stalkers, right? :-)
    ________

Ya' know, the one you posted that thread on XML for... Anyway, that comment was really just added for effect.
    Last edited by Ian Glass; Dec 5, 2001 at 18:22.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, well I just wanted some numbers for my theses, but I am submitting something for CHI2002 on Friday, which is nowhere near ready, and I might say something in that about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I see. So, what, then... Were my comments not good enough for you? Hunh? Hunh? Am I just a percentage to you? A number?

I see how you are, now. *deletes nickydanino.com from favorites* So, how does it feel to be just another IP address, 127.0.0.0?

:-)

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rememeber I found it when I worked full time as a web developer at the local university. In an effort to avoid work I was browsing webmaster resource sites and came across SitePoint. I registered in the forums and posted some and decided I liked it.

Back then you had to apply to become staff, so without thinking I had the slightest chance I applied to become an Advisor (there was no mentor programme then). After a while Wayne got back to me and offered me the Beginner's Forum to look after. I was shocked but accepted anyway.

Then the whole teams thing came along and here I am. I maintain I got the job as Grow Team Leader cos no-one else wanted it but it's not such a bad role really. I have the joy of having Jeremy in my team so what more could I want eh?

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not quite sure how I found this site. I think maybe Marc James introduced me to it.
    Nate Spencer
    [w] nspencer.com
    [e] nate@nspencer.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a game of rock, paper, scissors amongst all the team leaders to see who had the honor of taking Jeremy. Fluffy lost!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well.... I wanted to get my site reviewed, so I searched for something about site reviews, and up came the sitepoint website reviews.... so then I actually signed up straight away and started reviewing some sites (3:1... didn't like that ) and eventually got an email from some guy named MMJ??? who said I hadn't reviewed enough... I was sure I had... but anyway, it all went to plan.

I had a break from SP after that... sort of, I went and read a lot of the articles at sitepoint.

Then I kinda saw the trading post... and thought, kewl... i like this! and after that... general chat was pretty good, and now I just wander around everywhere and stick my nose in to any old thread

Now i'm just annoyed I didn;t find SP earlier